Just bought a 1998 Forester S

Hi,

We just bought a 1998 Forester S. It has 160,000, which I hope will not be a big issue. It seems in very good condition, no rust which I can see and the engine passed Pennsylvania emissions. It does seem to hesitate when accelerating, although I am comparing it to a 2004 Forester XT. They put Hankook tires on this car, which I am not familiar with as a brand. Is it wise to have a independent mechanic check this car out. I hope the hesitation is not engine or transmission. Any pointers would helpful. We bought from a Subaru dealer in Southeastern PA.

Thanks,

Alec

snipped-for-privacy@att.net

Reply to
Alec D. Plotkin

i just changed my fuel filter in my 98 forester, and it made a big difference in acceleration.

Reply to
frank

Have it looked at by a dealer. I bought a 98 Forester last year, took it to a dealer for inspection and wound up getting a ton of work done free as a recall. LT

Reply to
LT

Personally I would have had it checked out by an independent mechanic BEFORE I purchased it!

Images to Laugh, Smile & Cry over ! Ian Wharton Creative Photographics

1999 Outback
Reply to
Creative

i have a 98 forester. what did you have done for free? i was not aware of any recalls. thanks in advance.

Reply to
frank

They replaced the master cylinder and some other stuff. I'll look at the receipts and repost.... LT

Reply to
LT

check the oxygen sensors - made a huge difference to my '02 legacy wagon. gas consumption was high, acceleration and low-end torque were poor. (i thought it was just a heavy, underpowered car.) now i've got smooth power, and 50% (!) more gas mileage.

....... tom klein

ps. i bought it used, from a mazda dealer, and they also gave me a set of hankook tires. so far, i like them a lot.

Reply to
tom klein

Reply to
Onne