1999 Outback vibrations?

Hi, I am planning to buy a used Subaru Outback, and got as far as taking a

1999 model in to a mechanic for prepurchase diagnostics today. The mechanic was worried about a vibration that shows up around 2000 rpms. It's kind of a steady hum, shakes the entire car, but fairly moderately, even in neutral. The mechanic said he hadn't seen this before and was worried it might be something serious. The owner says the car has always done this, and he checked on the net (and IIRC with the dealer) and found that it seems to be a standard issue, and not a serious problem. I have found posts dating back from around '99 describing similar vibrations; it also sounds the same as the second item on:
Was this ever definitively sorted out? I don't think we mind the vibrationitself, but we want to be sure it is not the symptom of something more serious before we buy. What do you suggest? Thanks,

Fu

Reply to
fuliu

My 2000 Forester does not have a vibration at any rpm. How severe is the vibration ie barly feel it or does it shake the car?

Reply to
Edward Hayes

It vibrates the whole car, but it's not very severe. We didn't notice it on a test drive, and even when the mechanic had us feel it as it revved up, we wouldn't have thought anything of it if he hadn't said it concerned him.

Fu

Reply to
@math.mit.edu

Fu, How many miles are on this car. Could it be the motor mounts? Are you aware of the problem these cars have with blown head gaskets? Sparky

Reply to
Steve Parker

I would find out what is causing the vibration before I would buy. Is the CEL operating i.e. on when cranking and off after the engine starts?

Reply to
Edward Hayes

We went to a second mechanic today, also with extensive Subaru experience, and who also said flatly that this vibration was not normal, and might be a symptom of something serious. Since the seller was in a hurry to sell, we passed on the car. Thanks for your help,

Fu

Reply to
fuliu