2000 Forester Ltd Auto 2.0L, Fuel Economy Questions:

Hi All,

I have just bought a 2000 Forester Ltd Auto Tranny, with about 74 000 km. Just got a few questions that I need help with.

1) 60 litre tank. Correct? Currently getting to empty on the fuel gauge after about 40 litres of fuel. I know this cause that's all the fuel I can put back in. The fuel light comes on, and stays on, but I drive about another 40 KM. My question is how far past empty can you drive it before becoming worried? When there is 5 or 10 litres left in the tank?

2) With the 40 odd litres of fuel I'm getting about 320 - 340 km (about

19ml/gallon). Mostly City/Suburb driving. Not highway. Is this right or is the car in desperate need of a tune up?

3) How far can you get with a tank of fuel and how much can you fill it up with after?

Thanks in advance. Adam

Reply to
Adam

Same as my 95 Legacy, only the fuel light doesn't come on until there's about ~15 litres of fuel in the tank. As far as worrying, the only thing I worry about is gunk that has built up in the bottom of the tank over the years getting into the engine.

That's about right. Depends on driving style too. Stomping on the gas when the light goes green is not good, especially with that heavy AWD transaxel.

Don't think there is really anything to "tune up" anymore. The ECU will keep everything running optimally, and if it can't (e.g. dead O2 sensor), the CEL will come on.

So the funny thing about Subarus, I find is that the city economy is pretty poor, but the highway economy is great. I can typically get from Ottawa to Oakville (~500km) on about 35 l of fuel (~7l/100km needle between empty and

1/4 when I get there) if I keep in under 120km/h.

When driving to my mother's (250km round trip on a road posted as 80km/h where everyone does 100km/h) I get 6.5l/100km (~35miles/USgl)

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Adam

I bought a '94 Legacy Turbo last June. I was getting about 24mpg (Imperial gallon) and was not happy with that. My temperature gauge was always toward the cool side, but I didn't think too much about it because the gas gauge shows empty when there are 20 litres of fuel left.

About a month ago I took an evening trip through the mountains and wasn't getting any heat, so I knew I had a problem. Changed the thermostat (stuck WIDE open) and now I have heat and 33 mpg. Car runs a lot better too. Have to learn not to assume that the gauge is wrong I guess.

vern....

Reply to
Rocketman