Impreza fuel economy, canadian "winter gas" is back

It happens each and every years, my fuel consumption decrease sharply in November.

For example, my 2000 Impreza was getting 620km per tank (385milles) or 29mpg In winter, I can get about 550 km per tank (340 milles) or 26mpg

The thing is that I drive the same route at the same speed, I always monitor my fuel consumption over the same route.

Last week, I had an even more interesting expetience: I filled my tank in Quebec city and I manage to get 535 km before going on the reserve (330 milles) I did average about 23.5mpg (US gal) or 10L/100km, I below than average score, even for winter I filled up again near Ottawa and this tank gave me 645km before I went on the reserve I did average 8.7L/100km or 27mpg

It is a 13% difference.

This summer, my fuel economy never went below 27mpg unless I did major city driving and I really notiver when I do not hit 600km per tank

My guess, the Winter gas has arrived in Quebec and not in Ontario.

Charles Leblanc

2000 Impreza 2.2l 5spd
Reply to
Charlez

I live in Quebec and notice that my gas consuption changes depending witch gas station I go to. You are lucky to get 600km, I get 400/450 when I it the reserve, I have a Forester 2004.

Reply to
Hiver

I am not lucky, I am thame

I always calculate my fuel economy on trips where I drive mostly on highways. This is not representative of a real world mixed driving condition but it is easy to reproduce and it gives me a good idea of the fuel economy of my car

On the highway, I set my cruise control to 115km/h ... 72mph. I also check my tire pressure on a regular basis

I am running synthetic oil for the engine and the gears, I also installed Iridium spark plugs lately. Both changes did improve the fuel economy by

5-7% on my car.

On City driving, I get 400km per tank but I drive the car much harder.

It is normal that the 2000 Impreza would get better milleage than the Forester. It is smaller, has a smaller engine, has a lower weight and has smaller and stiffer tires. As far as aerodynamic drag, the real drag is the SCx, the S is the fromtal area and the Cx is the drag coefficient. The drag area of the Impreza is lower than average but the frontal area is much lower than many new SUV of hight aspect station wagon.

Charles Leblanc Impreza 2000

Reply to
Charlez

doesn'twinter gas have a different blend form summewr gas?? I also notice about a 10% drop in CT from Nov through Marchwhich I blame on the reformulation of winter (more volatile) gas. I believe now in CT there has benn some etoh added.

Anyone out there know more about this???

Reply to
Vincent Reppucci