How big is the fuel tank really?

Hi,
being the lucky owner of a new Mini Cooper S, I am somewhat intrigued about the "real" capacity of the fuel tank. The owner's manual speaks of ca. 50
litres, but when I filled it up last time, I had already 49 litres, while the fuel gauge stood at about 1/8 (in fact the warning light went just on).
So the question from the newbie is: how far can you seriously go without the risk of running empty or to damage the catalysor?
Thanks
Yves

Its huge. 50 litres, compared to the original which had just half that, the turning circle is huge too, 10.6 meters compared to 8.6 meters of the classic mini,
Steve.
owner of a classic 30 year old rust free 10 foot long mini cooper,

WTF? He asked a valid question, in the appropriate group, and gets an answer from an Asshole.
The tank is 50l, 13.2 Gal in the US. Officially.
However I have put as much as 13.812 gallons in, with the on-board computer still showing 12 miles till empty.
Steve
The Steve who knows what this group is about.
Thanks a lot, Steve,
that's the kind of answer I was desperately looking for!
Yves