2001 Forester Check Engine/Cat Conv Problems

I have a 2001 Forester that I bought new with 101k miles and the check engine light has been coming on since 91k. I've taken to the dealer twice (91k and 101k) as well as a independent shop (97k). The dealer replaced the Knock Sensor and cleaned the Air Assist Valve (91k). The independent performed an Air Induction Service (97k). When the check engine light came back on less than 2 weeks after having it in with the independent, he didn't want to deal with it anymore but said that perhaps the "cat is showing it's age". I took it back to the dealer with

101k and they now claim that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced but want $1050 for it. I called an independent exhaust shop and they quoted me $550. For what it's worth, the Front O2 sensor was replaced under recall at 81K.

My questions are:

1 - How hard is it to replace the catalytic converter? Do I need special tools and I'm guessing getting the bolts loosened may be a chore. Will I need a manual and do you have a recommendation?

2 - Where can I get parts? I called an Autozone and Advance Auto Parts and neither of them carry the parts. I have yet to try the dealer but have looked online and a few places claim they have them in the $300 range. Do you have to get any gaskets, etc or do these come with the part when you order.

I appreciate the feedback because saving $700 from the dealer if it's a few bolts I need to turn would make me very happy!

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, suggest the first thing you do is to have the "codes pulled" from the car's on board computer. A code read out will tell you exactly why the "check engine light" is coming on. I am surprised that the dealer and independent shop haven't already done that. If so, they should have told you the result of their diagnostic work.

Once the diagnostic work is completed, then you will know if you need a new cat converter or not, though, I have my doubts that is your problem. However, if you need a new cat, I wouldn't suggest doing the work yourself. All bolts on an exhaust system get rusted to the point of not unscrewing. All shops put a car up on a lift, to easily get at the underside, then torch off, or cut off the muffler system.

Pull the codes first, good luck! Larry

Reply to
fish6525

Bill, I forgot to say that you can get codes pulled at no charge at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto stores, prolly some others too. Just look around under the dash, below the steering wheel, for the large open connector that the diagnostic instrument would plug into. Knowing where that connector is, is helpful to show the Auto Zone guy where to hook up to. Regards, Larry

Reply to
fish6525