2001 Forester dash lights go out when headlights turned on

Any ideas why our dash lights would go out when the headlights are turned on? Thanks. Susan C.

Reply to
Smcavana

They will dim when your headlights are turned on. If the variable dash light level knob is set to minimum, they would indeed go out, or close to it. Have you checked that?

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

Thanks so much, that was it. I must say we're feeling just a bit dim witted for not figuring it out ourselves, especially after 4 years of owning the car. We really appreciate your help! Susan C .

Reply to
Smcavana

I have a Forester 2001 S, which doesn't have daytime running lights. If I turn on the headlights during the day, the clock display gets so dim that it's difficult to read (especially if I'm wearing sunglasses). Anybody have a fix for the clock?

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Farmer

Don't be embarrassed. That nifty little knob is one of Subaru's stealth features... like the parking lights over-ride button on the steering column, and the tiny little heater button for the side-view mirrors, and the warm-up function for the windshield wiper blades, and the steering wheel tilt adjustment knob (for those of us who haven't had one before), and for owners of late 90's vintage OBWs, perhaps the notorious in-dash cupholder. And, for other models, the back-seat cupholder in the console. Oh, and the "secret" fuse you install when using the temporary spare tire (for the OBW, not the Forester).

C. Brunner

Reply to
C. Brunner

On my 2004 Forester, pressing and holding the power button for a couple of seconds will cause the radio display to revert to "daytime" brightness. Same thing for the "off" button on the climate control system.

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt