2001 Impreza Transmission Problem

Hi gurus,

so my Impreza drives just fine, no problems, until I've driven for maybe 30-45 minutes and everything is good and warm -- then I get a really nasty klunking sound when I'm parking my car (i.e. turning the wheel sharply) - its also noticeable when I'm backing up but only when everythign is good and warm -- any ideas on what might be wrong?

Cheers,

Paolo

Reply to
paul.delong

Check your CV joints. Search the group here for plenty of information.

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

Hi, Think CV joint is gone South.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I agree; likely CV. However, if it happens when you are parking (ie. backing up with the wheels cut) check that the tires are not mismatched as well. That will cause a lock-up on the centre diff and give you those symptoms as well.

Reply to
JD

Sounds like my problem a while back. My center diff was the culprit. Not cheap. I've not yet had a CV joint go, so I can't compare, but on a previous car CV joints didn't need to be warmed up to make noise, they simply made noise when I turned. With the bad center diff, the fluid needs to warm up before starting to bind. I can't imagine this being good on the transmission, but at least it's not a transmission!

I had about 150k kms on mine.

Reply to
Chicobiker

I should have mentioned that I've had the CV joints checked and they're fine.. from the group's replies it sounds like it might be the center differential -- any idea what that'll run and what kind of shop I should take it to? general mechanic, a Subaru dealer or a transmission shop? TIA

Reply to
paul.delong

It cost me $1600 cdn at the dealership. Dunno if a transmission shop would have been better. This would probably be a subaru-specific part, and locally subaru marks up parts they sell to other shops, so you pay less for parts at the dealership, which helps compensate the high labour rate.

Reply to
Chicobiker