Clicking Noise: CV/Half Axle, transmission-center differential, tie rods?

1999 Subaru Outback: The vehicle has been making a clicking noise whenever I turn the vehicle left or right turning slowly. It is most notable when I drive slowly around the parking looking for a space making left, right turns or backing into a parking space. I have also noted that this clicking noise is more prominent after I have driven over one hour's time or more. This noise does not exist when I drive straight down the road, or if I drive 15 minutes to the store and make turns. I can feel the clicking after driving for one hour or more and reminds me of turning a 4WD vehicle when it is engaged in 4WD.

The vehicle has gone to the shop and I have received three different diagnosis:

1). Need to replace the half-shaft/CV joints 2). Need to replace the transmission. The center differential is shot. A common problem with AWD vehicles 3). Replace the tie-rods/check the boots.

One final note: All of the CV boots and tie-rod boots are in good shape. There is no wear and tear what so ever.

Totally stumped

Reply to
MWC

"more and reminds me of turning a

I wouldn't call that a clicking.

Check your tire preasure lately? Subies can make wierd stuff happen if your wheels are not the same circomfrence, usually due to air in the tires not being right.

Reply to
Funkadyleik Spynwhanker

Auto or manual? Do you FEEL any jerkiness when turning? Or just noise?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Install that fuse under the hood that converts the car to FWD and see if anything changes. No change then problem is probably not the transmission. Wheel bearings and/or worn out hub splines could be a possible source of the noise.

Reply to
johninKY