2001 Subaru Forester S

I am writing for a friend who has a 2001 Subaru Forester S. Here is the information:

Information:

2001 Subaru Forester S with 67,800 miles. Around November 12, 2005 the front passanger side headlight went out. Within a day both headlights, brights and fog lights were out. The repair shop said some wires were crossed and burned out the fuse. They fixed the wires and replaced the fuse. I had noticed and reported then also that there was some periodic but random hesitation (the car slowed down even with my giving it gas) when going up hills and making some turns. The repair shop couldn't duplicate the hesitation so there wasn't any diagnosis of a problem. One month later - around December 15 the same headlight went out (and the brights and the fog lights). The repair shop said it was the same problem but now on the "other side" (I think he meant different wires). Now less than one week later the same headlight went out etc. I noticed that again there was the hesitation going up hills and now a sudden kick of acceleration after about 10 seconds. I replaced the one 20 amp fuse for the headlight but nothing changed - have the same problem. Does anyone have an idea as to the problem, solution and cost of the solution? Thanks in advance for any help you can give her.
Reply to
sja68

Had someone installed aftermarket 'brighter' headlight bulbs? I've heard of them melting connectors. Seems unlikely the fcatory could've crossed all these wires and the problem waits - what - 4 years to show up? Anyway, other possibilties include alternator and - I dunno - poor/corroded ground connections? if no one here has anything else, you might post this over at

.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Check the charging voltage as it should be ~ 14.0-14.4v depending on battery charge.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Exactly my thought. High voltage is hard on bulbs, especially in cold weather. However I am not sure if his bulbs are burned out, or just off??

Alternator problem could also explain the hesitation on a smaller engine.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert