2001 Subaru Outback Alternator not charging. What is better. OME or aftermarket for replacement?

Hi My Alternator on my 2001 Subaru outback just stop charging. I am looking to replace my alternator now and I am wondering if I should go with a OME alt or aftermarket one. Maybe a take off from a Scrap yard?

Is it easy to change?

Thanks

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

No_no_Bad_Dog!!

Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thank you for the speedy reply Carl. I tried calling around to the local parts stores and they do not have a listing for my car.

I will try the dealership tomorrow when they open in the morning.

Thanks!

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

No_no_Bad_Dog!!

Reply to
Edward Hayes

She's not cutting breaks from the website prices anymore, from the last four or five items I've asked about...no more nice NASIOC deals.

Reply to
CompUser

A lifetime warranty? You don't even get that with new OEM-branded parts. There are places that will give 3- to 12-month warranties, but not lifetime. For example, I got my alternator from

(but they are local so don't expect to order online) that give a 1-year warranty. There might be something similar in the OP's area for buying rebuilts. They charged me $80 ($5 core, so you don't lose much if you decide not to drive back for the core refund). I could've gotten it for $70 elsewhere but with no warranty. The parts stores (online or local) wanted $165 to $200 ($60 core, so you'll definitely want to return it but shipping would be excessive if bought online), and the dealer wanted far more than that. I've been using the $80 rebuilt for 3 years.

Reply to
Vanguard

You're probably right - I was recalling lifetime warranted waterpumps for my old '81 Civic wagon - it needed one about every 35K miles! I can see an alternator ,being electrical, not having much of an extended warranty. Still, for what some OEM units cost, you could buy 2-3 and have a spare on hand!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to