2002 3.0 VDC Sedan Noise

Hi friends, I've got a noise problem that just started. I've got around 130,000 on my car. I have a squealing or squeaking sound that seems to be coming from the right rear of the car. The noise is intermittent and sounds for about one second when I hear it. At first it happened when I was lightly accelerating with the engine between 2000-2500 rpm. It sounds like a bearing or sticking brake pad type of noise. However I have now heard the noise while idling at a light. I just replaced the serpentine belt, idler pulley, and tensioner (with original Subaru parts) with no change. I have not yet heard the sound when listening under the hood.

I have another very odd thing that's been happening for around 20,000 miles now. I occasionally feel a 'ticking' through the gas pedal and sometimes the brake pedal while idling. I've used a screwdriver and listened to the alternator, A/C, and power steering pump and everything sounds OK in that area. This 'ticking' again seems to happen between 1700 and 2200 rpm (but has occured at idle as mentioned). For some reason I've thought about the cruise control cable maybe moving since it's directly connected to the throttle body. I can't figure out what else would feel so specific to the gas pedal. BTW - lesson learned - if you pull the cruise control fuse, you will NOT be able to move the shift lever out of park. Can you imagine having your cruise control fuse blow, and connecting that with a shift lever that won't move out of park?!

FYI, I'm the idiot that ran his engine during the oil change last month ... (but the ticking had been occuring long before that).

It's hard to describe this type of thing, but any thoughts one what this might be? Thanks, John

Reply to
jamason56

The first noise - well, I THINK there's a vapor recovery canister in that area - I suppose a vacuum leak or something could make a noise. very odd.

Also, dunno what could cause a 'tick' in both those pedals. Does it change with engine RPM or is it related to climate control? maybe motor mounts are bad or A/C fan has some problem???

I dunno

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I'll check the service manual for a vapor recovery canister. As for the 'ticking' it's mainly in the gas pedal, a sometimes in the brake pedal at a stop (of course). If it changes with engine speed it's very subtle... I think it does. As mentioned, it only happens from around

1700-2200 rpm, so that's not a lot of differance I don't think. I've heard the noise with the A/C on or off. I've tried everything I can think of! The motor mount idea is intriguing. Not sure how I could check that... but so far when I check under the hood for the ticking, I've never felt or heard it anywhere. Nothing in the cruise control cable or pedal cable. On thing I did notice is that there is some side play where both the cruise control cam and the pedal cam mount on the throttle body input. I did lose my A/C refrigerant earlier this Summer and after about two weeks I recharged it with no problems. I'm a worry wart and very sensitive to the smallest change or feel in my car . Thanks for the suggestions.... anyone else? John
Reply to
jamason56

My guess would be the exhaust is tapping the body in one or more places.

If you can't get it out of park, there is a manual shifter release in the silver trim around the shifter.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

That's a great idea about checking the exhaust. I'll check that out. Thanks about the shift release. I forgot all about that 8-) John

Reply to
jamason56

2002 3.0 exhaust comes from both sides, joins behind trans, then comes left and to the rear inside the frame on the driver's side of the body, exits at the driver's rear corner...so its hard to imagine how any sound from exhaust would be on the passenger side of the car unless it was in or near the engine compartment? All presuming his reference of left/right is as he sits when driving...?
Reply to
Jack Countryman

I have two issues going on here... one is the sqealing noise. It's intermittent and sounds like a metallic noise, like a bearing or brake pad sticking noise, but it's hard to tell where it's coming from... but I think from the rear. It happens generally at low road speeds while accelerating or slowing down. The other issue is the 'ticking' that I feel through the gas pedal... I don't hear anything, I just feel it in the gas pedal. It happens between 1700 - 2200 rpm. Road speed does not make a difference. The 'ticking' seems to start once the engine is warmed up and it's intensity does vary sometimes.

Reply to
jamason56

On the first - I thought you had said you heard it while stationary once?

If not, try to determine if it is louder or only present when doing a 'sweeping turn' to one side or other. Often, a bad wheel bearing will be louder when 'loaded' by body roll. (the one on the 'outside' of the turn)

Also, sometimes the bad side will be hotter after driving. next time you park after comi ng off the freeway, comapre how one hub feels with the hub on the other side.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan