2003 Legacy Wagon Headgaskets

During a service visit to the Subaru dealer this weekend, the service technician indicated that the headgaskets on my 2003 Legacy Wagon w/

82K miles were leaking engine oil and coolant and advised that I replace the valve cover, intake, and head gaskets. They also recommended I replace my timing belt, water pump, and seals. Estimate cost of repairs is about $1200 for the gaskets and $700 for the timing belt/pump/seals.

I checked the internet and found that there's a service campaign that covers the headgasket repairs for 8 years/100K miles. However, my 2003 Legacy wagon is not included in the campaign. I crawled underneath my car and took some photos:

There are no leaks showing up on my garage floor, but from what I saw, it looks like minor seepage. I'm worried that the leaks may develop into major leaks if I don't take care of it. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried to get Subaru to repair their headgaskets under the service campaign? How about for models not listed in the campaign? Please share your comments and experiences. Thanks!

Another thought: if I chose the do the headgasket work, should the timing belt/pump/seals job cost me only parts, since labor should already be included in the headgasket job (they are already taking apart that part of the engine)?

Reply to
ricardo381

Almost 2 years ago I bought a 1998 Legacy with a 2.5l engine. It seemed great when I drove away, but then I would have overheating at random times and my coolant turned to mud. The dealership I bought the car from (not a Subaru dealer) offered to fix it, but insisted it was a radiator issue. When they gave it back 3 times and I would still have it overheat within days, I searched for the answer myself. Looking online I found that this engine has a common problem with an internal head gasket failure, and brought the evidence to the dealership. When they finally caved in and accepted that it might be a head gasket problem, they almost ruined the car trying to fix it. After 4 months of repairs/towing/and giving me loaner cars, they had gone completely upside down on the car sale and they finally sent it to a Subaru dealer to fix the head gasket (and the things they had screwed up along the way) and I finally got a car that has be problem free ever since then.

I'm not allowed on that car lot any more, but I did learn that the Subaru 2.5l has this problem... I'm not sure if they fixed it by

2003, but if it's the same issue then you'll have a head gasket leak 'inside' where it won't leave a mess on your garage floor, and may not even cause any problem you would notice except occasionally when something heats up at just the right rate and the thermal change creates the potential leak condition. Watch for discolored coolant! And if the Subaru dealer says you have a head gasket problem, take it seriously...

Dan

Reply to
dan

Hi Ricardo,

I also have a 03 Legacy Wagon that was in the dealer for normal service at

68k and was found to have leaking valve cover gaskets. Leaking oil into the spark plug wells, not on the floor. Head gasket was OK. Still another $229.00.
Reply to
WayneS

cywagon is not included in the campaign. I crawled underneath my

Reply to
ricardo381

I ran into the 2.5L head gasket problem early, while my engine was still under warranty. I lucked out on that one. I didn't know it was a common problem until just now. I saw the usual symptoms, the spiking engine temperatures, etc.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan