Legacy Wagon Waterpump

I have a friend with a 95 Legacy wagon that I suspect has a shot water pump. (Have to get over to see for myself, but from the description ...)

If I were to try and help here myself what pitfalls should I expect. I know the pump is belt driven and I'd probablty replace the belt while I'm at it, and I would of course get a service manual before starting. What i'm wondering is what are the "gotchas" the manual won't mention? What's a realistic time to alot for this job working in my driveway, not on a mechanics lift? Any infor greatly appreciated

Reply to
dave

You might want to look in

Edward Hayes

Hi,

Consider replacing all the following at once:

Water pump T-belt(s) Idler pulleys Camshaft oil seals Crankshaft front main oil seal All the seals on the oil pump (front seal, O-ring or rings on back of pump)

I'd suggest Subaru OEM parts for the belts and water pump for longest service life. Other stuff's usually available aftermarket and works fine.

Once you're "in" far enough to do the pump, the rest of the items don't add a lot of time or grief to the job. I'd allow a full weekend for the first time to be safe, not knowing your tool collection, expertise or how many "12 piece tool kits" you use working on cars. :D It's probably around 4 hrs of actual work for most people after they've done it a time or two. Only "pitfall" I can think of is if the manual DOESN'T tell you to remove the radiator and attendant fan(s) first off, you'll probably save time, skin and blood by removing it, and since you're doing the water pump, it's gonna be drained anyway.

When refilling the cooling system, air bubbles can be a problem. You should find some discussions of the many approaches to removing them archived here (Google is your friend) and probably on the USMB and NASIOC forums.

Best of luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Tell us what his car's symptoms are. As Rick said, there could be an air bubble creating problems. Or a blown head gasket. Or maybe just a bad rad cap or thermostat.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Well it's definitely more than air. There is leaking antifreeze all over her driveway. ;-)

She said she's heard kind of a "growling" sound in the engine the last few weeks that apparently got really bad in the last day before she noticed the leak and overheating. I didn't get over there last night to see for myself yet.

My tools are not an issue on a job like this, my set should be fine, including air tools. My experience is. I've done many waterpumps, but only on domestic cars and mostly early model stuff. Usually just involves tanking the radiator, maybe pulling the fan off, a couple hose clamps and unbolt it from the engine. Soon as I read the WP was driven by the timing belt.... I've done a couple timing belts. Not my favorite jobs by a long shot. LOL.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see how my schedule looks this weekend, my friend may have to take it to a mechanic.

Reply to
dave

You could 'bone up' a little reading some threads on the issue over at

.

these might be good for a start;

good luck

Carl