2004 Forester - What's with the "lumpy" acceleration?

I've got 4000km on my 2004 Forester 2.5XS (5spd manual). Moderate acceleration from 2600rpm through about 3700rpm is lumpy. Lumpy is probably the best way to describe it. Whatever it is, it is definately not smooth acceleration. Operating and shifting at 4000+rpm, the engine sounds strained, like it's time to shift. Occasionaly I have noticed rough idle when sitting at a stop light. Any ideas?

My 90 Legacy with 2.2 (5spd manual) certainly doesn't have this lumpy acceleration and the shift rpms I use in it are 2500 - 3300rpm, depending on acceleration requirements. The 2.2, though 15years and 180,000km older feels like it produces better and smoother power, even in the heavier car. mmm?

Edward Hayes

clogged fuel filter?

Reply to
gringo

from the same high-volume supplier. Never had problems with my other vehicles.

reset the ecu by disconnecting battery and waiting for a while. then test drive again.

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Are you running the A/C? The A/C will bog down my Outback H6 in the mid RPM range.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Hi, You mean tach needle is not steady when idling? Then something is not right. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, When a/c comes on ECU automatically compesates raising rpm. What do you mean bogging down? You can hear and feel a/c compressor engage but it shouldn't bog the eingine down. some cars temporarily disengage a/c compressor clutch when quick acceleration is called for.(like passing) Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Could it be some knock sensor issues causing intermittent retarded timing?

Reply to
forsale

are you using the proper octane of gas??

Reply to
Tha Ghee

are you using the proper octane of gas??

I'm using 87 octane as required. No pinging or other signs of octane problems. I'm about 1500km from it's initial 6K service so we'll try to sort out some of the little nags the vehicle has. My console power outlet doesn't work either.

Jim85CJ