Oil for old and new

What motor oil is recommended for a 96 OBW with 170K miles and for a 04 OB Sedan?

Thanks.

Reply to
Rajp

Hi,

If you don't have your owners manuals, you should be able to find some info at

as well as Haynes, Chilton's or other manuals. Don't remember how it was set up last time I visited, but on the Subie site you're looking for a section on owners/maintenance or something similar where you plug in your specific car's info. With the miles on the '96 you may want to lean toward the heavier end of the viscosity chart if it's using oil, running lower than normal oil pressure or you live in a hot climate.

I'm sure this will rattle someone's cage and make me wish I'd donned the flame suit before typing it, but all you REALLY need to be concerned with is service grade and viscosity. Brand is a matter of preference I won't even bother to address (we all have our favorites for whatever reasons), and you can view the dino/synthetic wars on any car forum on the Net!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright