2004 Impreza Questions (CDN)

I am seriously considering purchasing a Subaru Impreza (2004 model) and would appreciate some comments concerning the vehicle. I have been a long time Volkswagen person but have grown tired of the vanilla models they have been producing recently. I believe that Subaru is my only alternative as I want a small car that is above all fun to drive, has lots of road feel and looks a little bit different.

In Canada there are two different trim levels for the "basic" Impreza, a

2.5TS Wagon and an Outback Sport version. There is a $4,000 CDN price difference and I would appreciate any advice concerning the additional value of purchasing the upgraded model.

There are a few standard items on the Outback Sport Impreza that I would like (heated seats in particular), but are not by themselves worth the extra amount. So any opinions on the other features would help me in making a decision. The major upgrades include a stiffer (heavy duty) suspension, 16" alloy wheels, fog lights, upgraded upholstery and quite a few convenience things like lighted cargo area. The paint scheme is also different, a two tone effect with a standard metallic grey paint applied to the bumpers and around the wheel wells. I was told the grey paint is better at preventing chipping in these vulnerable areas, is this true?

If possible I would also like to hear any comments about the car in general; I have gone through the message board and have not seen many posts about the basic Impreza. I understand that the 2004 model is relatively new, but any comments, even those about Subaru would be helpful.

Thanks

Vern Tarbutt

Reply to
Vern Tarbutt
:

I'm in Canada and I purchased a Impreza TS 2.5 about 6 weeks ago. I didn't get the Sport model because I couldn't see where they got the $4000 difference. IMHO its not at all worth the extra price and even the dealer hinted as much to me.

I LOVE my TS. Of course, its only 6 weeks old and one has to be very careful when taking advice from someone who just purchased anything. Most people will not admit they were ripped off until much later if at all.

Having said that, and being a former owner of a VW GTI VR6 I can tell you that the TS is in the ballpark. Its got excellent bottom end, handles very well and is a complete blast to drive. The GTI (VR6) had more power especially at the top end. The TS though, to me, has good torque at lower speeds and comes close to the VR6.

If you do get a TS, the first thing I would do is get yourself a better sound system. The one that comes with the car is junk.

Good Luck,

Justin F. Knotzke

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am also having a hard time understanding how they arrived at the price for the sport model, this is why I posted my question. In my opinion the standard TS is more than adequate in terms of performance for my needs. I have not had the opportunity to test drive the sport version so do not know how the heavy duty suspension affects drivability. Like your dealer, mine has hinted that the extra features are not worth the cost.

I do prefer the appearance of the sport version (two tone paint scheme) and my wife would really like the heated seats, but $4,000 is a steep price to pay for a minor styling enhancement and a single comfort feature. If the paint was better at protecting against chips and the suspension noticeably better than the standard car I might be more interested. At this point I am trying to keep an open mind concerning some of the features that are not important for me, if someone was able to describe the benefits of some of the enhancements I would at least understand their value.

I appreciate your comments concerning your Impreza, especially from a former VW owner. And the advice concerning replacing the sound system is exactly the type of comment I was hoping for.

Vern Tarbutt

Reply to
Vern Tarbutt

I have also been looking at the TS for when I move to Minnesota next year. I just visited Edmunds.com and looked at the TS vs. the OBS. I deleted all the accessories and got the two prices (both were automatics), and there was only a $1,117 (US) difference between them. I personally don't care for the look of the OBS paint job and I would rather have the 15" steel wheels so I could put winter tires on them. I would buy some 16" or 17" wheels for 3 season use. As for the heated seat, does anyone make a thin seat pad that would plug into the lighter socket??

Reply to
null_pointer

Take a look at the brochure, it specifies all the extras on the OB Sport. Also, I believe the gray part is a plastic covering, not paint, which is why it resists chipping.

Reply to
ed

Just 2 models? What about the Impreza RS? Your $4000 would be better spent getting that model unless you absolutely want the wagon.

Reply to
powertrain

Hey Vern,

I'm in Canada too and am a former VW owwner and a firm believer in the reliability of the VW diesel engines. I don't own the Impreza but have had a Forrester (basic model) and now an Outback Limited edition. My mum has the Impreza RS and my dad, a WRX wagon.

In my opinion, the Impreza RS is the better handling than the Forrester and Outback because of the lower centre of gravity and shorter wheel base. I have yet to try the WRX wagon as my dad only recently purchased it and I'm over 5000km away.

With regards to sound systems, you can never get audiophile quality sound out of an auto system. One reason is due to the positioning of the speakers (not directly at ear position). Being an audiophile, with several systems in my house (my main system costs over CAN$25K), I have come to the conclusion that it is not worth the money upgrading sound systems in the car. Your best bet is to just go home and enjoy the sound system that you have there.

Chuckles

Reply to
chuckles

What if you don't have a sound system or you don't have a home to begin with???

The speakers in many Impreza's are plain awfull so even a cheap upgrade can make a relatively big difference.

s.z.

Reply to
UserEddie214
:

Given that you spent more on your home sound system then on the price of the TS, I'd say you and I aren't canoeing in the same lake.

To the OP, a new sound system makes a nice difference to us mere mortals.

Justin F. Knotzke

sound system at home meaning your stereo or getto blaster. there are many low cost mini systems that sound much better than a car system.

home meaning the house that you own, the apartment that you rent, or even if you're living with mummy and daddy, your room. home doesn't have to be exclusively one that you've purchased. i used to refer to my rental basement apartment my home as that was where i went to every day after work. if you don't have a home then you wouldn't be driving a subaru, let alone a rusting piece of crap.

Reply to
chuckles

i'm no more special than the op, as you put it. i work hard for what i have. i was just trying to make the point that, unless you spend a significant part of your day in your car, ie, you put in enough driving time to cover over 40,000 km per year,it would not be worth upgrading the sound system in it, however, the choice is up to you. i never said that you would be dumb should you decide to go for it. i just said that it was not worth the money upgrading the sound system in a car. that is my opinion after all and i was just providing it to you. i'd rather put the money in rrsp's or towards my mortgage, more worthwhile choices, again this is my opinion.

Reply to
chuckles
[posted and mailed]

"Vern Tarbutt" wrote in news:10v1b.3710$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

I just picked up a 2003 Impreza TS Special Edition about a month ago. I was originally looking at the Outback Sport but didn't like the color of the cloth interior or the two tone paint. The Special Edition is between the base TS and the Outback Sport. It get's alloy wheels, an unavailable paint color for the Impreza TS (platinum silver?!) fog lights and a shiny exhaust tip.

I wanted all of these things (could care less about the exhaust tip) added to a base TS and loved the color so this was ideal for me. My car doesn't have the roof rails (another plus for me) but they can be installed. The added bonus was that it's a 2003 model so I got $1500 cash back on the purchse. I wanted a 2003 as I prefer the styling of the 2003 vs the 2004. All in all I am very happy. For a complete comparison of what's different between the various versions of the Impreza check this out:

The above is one long URL

I have no idea if there is a Special Edition for 2004.

I believe that aside from the different looks of the 2004 there is very little else different. Things I seem to recall that have changed:

- antenna now in the glass

- no key access to the tailgate (keyless entry only)

- roof rails are standard on all wagons

- 4 wheel disc brakes are now standard on all Imprezas

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic