2004 Outback Radio removal

Does anyone know where I can find out how to remove the trim to get access to the factory radio on a 2004 Outback?

Next, I want to hardwire a 3-outlet cigarette lighter adapter to an accessory power source. Where is it and how do I access it?

I'm trying to install an XM radio receiver and extra power outlets up front.

Reply to
Abby Kula

You will not be able to install the XM radio. There are no connectors on the Subaru radio. Search the group archives.

Reply to
Alan

Follow this link:

will take you to the installation guide section of subaru parts.IIRC you have to remove the stock stero to install the 6 disc changerand the security system. Hope this helps. Brian '04 OBW

Reply to
Brian K. M.

Okay... Now you are talking! I had all the same desires... I just got back from Best Buy and I think I now can dub myself a genius... Actually, none of this has come to fruition yet but... I think it will work... Firstly, I have been down the path already of invcestigating what I might find if I did get to the back of the radio. It seems that Subaru did neglect to add any inputs for accessories. Now that I have regretfully come to terms with that oversight, and lacking a tape player I am forced to go teh route of the FM modulator... As you know, they suck... BUT.... ALthough I am really trying to make my MP3 player work in the car through the stereo, the same challenge exists for XM and Sirius radio users... I found something cool for the same price as most of the other lame moduclators on the market. Now, I found one by DELPHI... Is is called the SKYFI FM Modulator. It is $49. It is hard wired in and has a pass through cord for your antennae lead... I think it is going to do the trick. It also has an additinal output lead that must be to power your XM unit.

As far as the 3 plug accessory plug... I have the same issue. I figure I am going to find a way to hook into a live lead once I get the consol open to install the modulator gizmo. It does suprise me that Subaru did not give any power plugs that stay on after the key is out of the ignition. I use it to charge my cell phone when I am out of the car and desperate!

So, anyway, I think this modulator gizmo, may be your answer. If you are interested to hear if it worked, write me back. I will install it as soon as I fine the instructions on ripping open the center console!

Let me know if you hear different...

Thanks!

Scott

Reply to
spratt

From what I have read here on the group, Subaru is using a special smaller antenna connector into the head unit. If so, it would require some connector conversions. At

under installation guides, the subwoofer/amplifier guide tells how to remove the console & head unit to plug in the subwoofer. Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Thanks a million. THat was the one mystery I was still looking forward to... And, what was wrong with the NORMAL size connectors we willnever know!

Reply to
spratt

Can anyone clearly answer yes or no as to the need of an antenna adaptor for the Subaru radio ('05 WRX). I am about to dump a bunch of cash into a new head-unit and don't want to get snagged on an cheap part that may be harder than bollux to locate. The BestBuy guys and Crutchfield.com both don't seem to think it's non-standard. Should they be wrong, does anybody know where I can get this adaptor?

Thanks!

MikeL

Reply to
MikeL

Better yet, does anyone have a picture and/or measurments of a removed factory radio antenna plug that would be of help?

Reply to
MikeL