2005 Legacy Transmission Failure

My relatively new 2005 Legacy 2.5i had a catastrophic automatic transmission failure three weeks ago, and I'm still bickering with a dealer about the quality of the repair.

The torque converter bushing failed, taking the seal, allowing most of the fluid to leak out. Without fluid, lots of damage occurred in a few minutes.

It's covered by the warranty, and it took 13 days to do the job. But the problem now is the smell.

The shop rebuilt the transmission, replacing high and low clutches, the torque converter, seals, etc. But they didn't bother to remove the transmission fluid; "under side of car covered" their report points out.

After picking up the car and driving it a few miles, noxious odor of burning transmission fluid filled the interior, causing my wife to feel nauseated and headachy. She took the car back and insisted that they clean the ATF from the undercarriage.

We are in stalemate presently. The shop insists that it's impossible to remove the ATF, yet I talked to a detailer who said it's possible.

Do I have a leg to stand on? And do you have suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks.

Reply to
cerberus

Have it steam-cleaned at a detail shop.

Should make a huge difference.

Reply to
GrumpyOldGeek

I would think either a high pressure washer or steam cleaner would do the job.

Reply to
johninKY

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks, folks. I'm considering getting a lawyer because Subaru insists this is not covered by the warranty.

Reply to
cerberus

Ya gotta drive the car, right? Don't waste your time and money on a lawyer at this point.

Take written and signed statements from your wife and anyone else who's been in the car and suffered with the smell. Get it steam-cleaned. Write a claim letter letter to Subaru demanding payment for the steam-cleaning. State that if they do pay, they are released from any further obligation concerning the smell with this incident. State that if they don't pay, you will take further legal action.

If they don't pay, you will have a compelling case and evidence for small claims court.

*disclaimer*

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advise.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Legally, they have to return to you a car that is in good condition. If their claim that it is not possible to make your car "whole" is correct, then it is totalled, and they owe you a replacement. Is that the choice they want?

Reply to
l.lichtman

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and support.

I finally took the car and the smell is gone. The repair shop said they cleaned as thouroughly as they could, and they drove the car at least

140 miles. Guess they tried to burn it off.

I agree you, Edward. Subaru should have replaced the transmission. Their excuse? The model is too new for refurbished tranmission availability. They refused when I asked for a new transmission.

Subaru was very stingy. I want people to know.

Reply to
cerberus

Update. Subaru extened my drive train warranty to 7 years/100K miles to make it right. I took it.

Reply to
cerberus

I am a first-time owner of a Subaru, a 2005 OBW LL Bean. Just bought it this week.

I _think_ I can recall Consumer Reports (I looked in back issues, but could not find it) putting Subaru dealers very close to, if not at, the bottom of their list for customer satisfaction. (Top of the list was Lexus).

Does anyone recall this? Do Subaru dealers have a very poor reputation?

Thanks, Gunny

Reply to
R. Gerard

This is just the **BEGINNING** of your Subaru owner experiance :) It gets better and better, maybe a blown headgasket before 20,000 miles. Read the comments in here, these cars are JUNK

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Huh?? My '04 Forester XT has had zero (zilch, none, nada) problems in 22 months, and almost 30K miles. "Junk"??!? Oh, please, get serious. Those of us who congregate here (well, most of us) aren't that stupid.

Reply to
Hal Whelply

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Ya know, it seems to me a person who was intent on 'helping'(in his own mind) people avoid Subaru ownership would choose a forum OTHER than one aimed specifically at folks who own Subarus!

he should have his 'doctorate' revoked!

Carl

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Me too. Last week Tuesday. Aske them to clean up but when I went to pick up 2 days later, not only that the security upgrade and wheel lock (which I was forced to buy - well the initial negotiation was on a sedan (price given via email) which they wouldn't reduce the price but when I was about to go buy from another dealer, they decided to sell me wagon for thet price and I took it - and then found out that they had not installed those yet were stil not installed) minor scratches all over, etc. Ended up leaving the car and picked it up yesterday.

I am waiting for the survey to mark "unstaisfactory".

Reply to
amanda992004