2005 Subaru Forester/Seat

I have a 2005 Subaru Forester, with around 32,000 miles on it. I live in a temerate part of the country and always keep my car clean. The drivers seat, as you all know, is made mostly of cloth, but has leater, or what appears to be leather, that is used as trim for the seat. Well my problem is that this leather like material is cracking. I have used a leather cleaner on this and always use a sunshade and crack my windows in hot weather. Give me some tips about how I can get Subaru to fix this, or am I even right to think that they will fix this? Has anyone else had this problem? I think that it should be covered under the workmanship section of the warrenty. I have had some bad expereince in the past, Subaru has told me several times that my problem is not covered under the warrenty, or that they will not fix the problem, and even they could not do anything until the Subary rep. comes into town, which usually takes 3-6 months. I don't have that sort of time, my car runs out of warrenty soon. I want to be positive about Subaru, but if they drop the ball on this one I will loose all faith in them. Please advise. Thanks

Reply to
nrs2001

First, if you have the dealership document the complaint in writing - then they drag their feet having the rep look into the issue, you should have noting to fear if the warranty runs out before he shows up. Also, you understand Subaru's position is they can never be certain what kind of abuse a vehicle may have suffered. Sometimes a 'deal' can be struck, even after warranty has run out, whereby subaru will pay for the labor if you pay for the parts or some type of 50% discount is offered. maybe one of the Foreter sites or the Forester section over at

will indicate if this is a common problem and how Subaru has been dealing with it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
nrs2001

I dunno. There have been instances whereby someone may(for example) have modified the car with lowered springs and a 'loud' exhaust. Then the owner tries to make a claim for a ruined transmission. The dealership says, basically, "Well, look, you obviously were racing and we won't cover the damage" maybe they were or maybe they got a bum transmission. Tricky decision. I'd say just go ahead and make arrangements to document the damage, maybe take a coupla photos with the dealership's repair estimate/whatever next to the cracked leather, and have an appointment made with the regional manager - and be sure to tell him the suggestion came from a group on the internet.Use phrases like, "How would you feel if this were your car?" and "If they all do this then they are all bad and need repairing - you can start with mine." Then we'll see what happens. Have you discovered if other Forester owners have encountered this issue? another place to ask would be

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
nrs2001

I have a 2005 Subaru Forester XS with 31,000+ miles & the grey interior. I assumed it is vinyl around the cloth, but may be leather. Mine shows no sign of cracks, and I have not put anything on it. I do have cracks in my computer desk chair which is leather. My car spends 90% of its time out in the sun at Lambert airport parking in St. Louis for two years.

I think the cracks on my chair come from the flexing of the material. In my Forester I am only as wide as the fabric so I don't contact the trim much at all except getting in & out. I have a 125 mile commute twice a week, so most of my time is spent just sitting.

Only thing is to try the dealer or two dealers and see what they say. With the airbag in the seat, it may be costly to have the trim replaced and restitched, or have the seat cover replaced.

Let us know how this comes out.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Subaru does have a 3Y/36000 mile bumper to bumper and should include seats coverings. The only thing I can think of that may cause a problem is what others have said i.e. knife cuts or poked holes etc. Do get the complant in writing that includes a date and mileage.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

also dig around/post at;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I've had the local Subaru dealer many issues under warranty, including replacing a sun visor, and the glove-box, so no problem with them fixing interior items that failed during the 36k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty period.

As far as the seat cracking, I wonder if the leather treatment harmed the vinyl trim. Otherwise Subaru should fix it.

Good luck!

Reply to
David

2005 Forester XT with all leather here. No cracking problems at all. I use Meguars Leather treatment every other month. The car is night garaged, but outside all day. This is in the desert southwest USA where daytime summer temps reach 115°F outside, and as low as 0F° at the nearby ski resort in winter (BTW, it's currently 31°F at the airport @ 6 AM).
Reply to
QX