2006 Forester vs Outback

I am looking at the 2006 Forester Premium vs the 2006 Outback 2.5i- they are almost identical in price. Are there any decent sites comparing the two? Anyone have any gut reactions that they want to share?

thanks,

Don

Reply to
bbcrock

To be honest, I think the Outback is more refined, nicer ride, better ergonomics and better looking. That is what convinced us to buy our Atlantic Blue 05 OBW.

Ron

Reply to
Freedom55

But if you are tall, the Forester is much easier to get in and out of without ducking

Reply to
R Sweeney

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Subjectively, I like the Outback better than the Forester. Objectively, the Outback is significantly larger inside. Your decision largely depends on how much space you need.

Reply to
lkreh
2006 Cargo Capacity: Forester: 32.0 cubic ft./57.7cu. ft. with rear seat lowered Outback: 33.5 cubic ft./66.2 cu. ft. with rear seat lowered

2006 Cabin Capacity: Forester: 93.5 cu. ft. Outback: 97.4 cu. ft.

Forester is a foot shorter. Outback ride and handling more nimble and car-like. Outback probably quieter. Forester less likely to bottom out (wider angle of approach and angle of departure).

Marc Sindell Twin City Subaru Sales Montplier Vermont

Reply to
marcus153

I know this isn't a typical stat, but I'd like to see a cargo capacity comparison that only accounts for a cargo level that is up to the rear seat height level. In other words, it's undesirable, to say the least, to stack cargo floor to ceiling. What is the cargo capacity if you limit cargo height to the rear seat height level?

Reply to
lkreh

Also, the seats may fit larger folks better in the Outback. That was one of our considerations.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Ikreh, you have a good point. Certainly, one could consider the cargo space more "usable" in the Outback. The Forester does make very efficient use of space, however.

Marc

Reply to
marcus153

Forester = Japan Build Outback = US Build.

Forester = Lighter, "Top Pick" with Consumers reports and Highest crash test results Outback = Less so

Outback concept is getting pretty dated IMHO.

I bought the forester (04, 37,000km) and am very happy with it.

Reply to
Grolsch

Outback concept is getting pretty dated?!? Tell it to Audi Offroad, Volvo XC70, Ford Freestyle, and other mfgs. making Outback-inspired, all-wheel drive wagons.

I will agree that the previous gen Outback *design* was getting dated, but not the concept.

My two duckets, LK

Reply to
lkreh

My guess is that the Outback's advantage would increase even further in that case, since the area of the bottom horizontal surface is larger. The Forester makes up for it with height, which you don't want to use.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

  • I've owned both. I still have an '01 Outback. The Forester has more headroom (a bit) and more ground clearance. It is shorter and therefore has less storage space. Back seat legroom is better in the Outback.

Otherwise, not much difference.

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

I think they raised the Outback in 2005 so it's got 8" ground clearance? I remember them saying it was slightly more than the Forester.

=aw andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

I am very long-waisted, and the Legacy has more than enough headroom. Most of my cars have not had enough room. I can't imagine what you would do with the extra room. You can't exactly sit on the ceiling.

Reply to
Tom Reingold

well, for one thing you don't have to bend over and contort your neck to get in and out

that alone is worth it

Reply to
R Sweeney

I picked a Forester because of the easy get-in/get-out. My back doesn't like me bending over too much and I hate getting into a car butt first and then swing my legs in. In addition: the visibility is better in the Forester which in my traffic is a big plus. I wish my

2000 Forester did not look like a moving bread box as the outback sure looks better IMO.
Reply to
Edward Hayes