Forester vs. Outback

My wife is looking to replace her '93 Legacy, and I need some advice.

I'm looking at '99 to '01 Forester and Outback, but I'm not really sure what things to look for, like luxary options, engine/tranny choices, appearance options and so forth, as well as what things to avoid.

My question is, (and this applies to both Forester and Outback owners) What (if anything) would you do differently, or change about your vehicle had you known about it before you bought the car? For example, my wife complains that the cup holder in the Legacy blocks the clock and the radio. Minor detail, but it annoys her. Go figure. Anyway, I'm concerned about things like engine/tranny choices, suspension options, that sorta thing, and she is more concerned about comfort, visibility, and appearance, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
Porsche944

I would buy the one my wife prefers. If a bit better clearance and easier entry and exit are important, go with the Forrester. I have a 98 OBW and when I have the money I will buy a Forrester because I prefer the better offroadability of the Forrester.

Reply to
Pete D

Uhhhm, the OBW actually has better ground clearance (about 1/2 inch) than the Forrester.

Reply to
Alan

Though not so good clearance angles front and back, from what I've read here.

Reply to
BBB

"Alan" wrote

I thought I had read that, but subaru.com gives ground clearance for all Forester models as 7.5 inches and 7.3 inches for the 4-cylinder OBW. All the H6s are reported as 7.9 inches. What's with that? More power...must ride higher?

I think the clearance measurement is drivetrain related. I wonder how the sill clearances compare. Putting your wheel on a rock will avoid the differential and sump, but could whack the rocker panel after you come down. Must take my tape measure when I next go to the store. If you see some looney in the parking lot with a tape measure next to your OBW, please don't shoot.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

None of these vehicles should really be intentionally taken to where you need to worry about it.

Reply to
Alan

Alan,

It would seem that you know little about offroad driving. I also have a Suzuki Sierra that only has 185mm ground clearance with the same size wheels that my OBW has but I assure you that my Suzuki will go far further over much more difficult terain.

The Forester will also go many more places that the OBW will because of the following contributing factors.

  1. Shorter wheelbase.
  2. Better takeoff angle.
  3. Better departure angle.
  4. Higher drivers seat position allowing better forward view.
  5. I will put chunkier tyres on the Forester to replace the H/T's.

Cheers.

Pete D

Reply to
Pete D

True. Just don't call me when you get stuck. :)

Reply to
Alan

Ummm, okay.

Reply to