2008 Outback Sport drivetrain noise....

My Outback Sport / manual gear box is making a clicking noise when driving. It seems to only make the noise under load but not when I rev the engine in neutral. Almost sounds like lifters tapping, but it is not.... Could it be coming from the clutch / tranny???

Engine has 55,000 miles on it.

Reply to
flipper

Wow, could be so many things. maybe if you describe the sound better. One thing I would suggest you check are the CV joint boots. Also, double check your lug nuts.

i dunno

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It is a clicking noise, sounds like lifters tapping or an exhaust tick.. If I leave off of the gas, the noise is gone. There is really no other way of describing it...

Reply to
flipper

I'm gonna say more likely heat shields than anything else. Does the sound change frequency with RPM. (That is, is the ticking slower at

-say- 35mph in 4th gear than in 3rd gear?) Does it sound the same when you lift off the throttle but are still coasting?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I do not hear much of a change in frequency. Not real loud in the car, but when I pass someone I can hear it pretty good. When you are shifting, it goes away. If I lift off of the gas, it either goes away or it is not as loud. I was thinking it might be something in the trans/clutch.

Reply to
flipper

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote in news:K9c7m.8110$cl4.6835 @flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

Maybe the belt tensioner? I have an '03 Impreza Wagon that was making funny ticking noises (especially when cold) and this turned out to be the problem. Here is a bit more info:

Fuzzy Logic