4 vs 6 Outback ?

Hello,

Two questions, please:

a. anyone have any idea what percentage of the 2013 Outback's sold are

6 cyl. ?

b. is there any good reason to believe that an Outback with a 6 cyl will last longer, and/or be more reliable, than one with with the 4 ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

In my location, Reno NV, where Subaru's are immensely popular, from what I can see on the streets, its less than 10 percent, maybe 5-6 percent i.e less than 10 percent of all Outbacks on the road (all model years) are 6 cylinder.

I think stronger cars are safer, and last longer, in general. So, yes, there is reason to believe a 6 cylinder would outlast a 4. Also depends on your driving style, and whether you really need more torque/power.

People tend to take better care of more expensive cars,too. There are plenty of very nice Impreza Outbacks from the 1990s and early 2000s in my location while the lesser models of same car are usually more beat-up.

It all depends, Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

Now where do you get the idea that a six-cylinder engine makes a car stronger than the same car with a four-cylinder?

Okay, I'm not sure where you get this idea either. A six cylinder would be more expensive than a four, but a turbo-four might be more expensive than a six. The chances are that both the normally aspirated four or six would be more reliable than the turbo engine, regardless of how expensive the models are.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Yeah, if you are in a habit of changing air filter to some cheap replacement crap once in 5 years turbo will be more unreliable.

But given the sound proofing in a subaru I'd get a 6 banger anyday to avoid the incessant noise engine.

Seems a simple choice: 4 pot with turbo if you want (and can stand FHI version of) a stick and 6 pot if you want automatic.

In fact FHI could just as well stop selling 4 pots bundled to automatic on Maxima and Outback in the US of A to boost 6 pot sales.

Subaru, you can keep 4 pot with a manual on the Subaru Minima and the fartster.

Reply to
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat, Body Roll Works LLC