60000 belt replacement

It was recommended to me when having the timing belt replaced I should also have all the other belts replaced at the same time. Is this the normal precedure or just good preventive maintenance? It does add substantially to the cost.

Reply to
P356

What model and year is your car?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Most people do it because the other 2 belts need to be removed to get at the timing belt so the labor doesn't change...only the cost for the belts which is $30 or less for the pair. We usually replace the cam seals, crank seal, and water pump. What car/engine? 60,000 seems a bit soon. TG

Reply to
TG

My phase 2 engine (Forester 2000) has a timing belt change interval of

Reply to
Edward Hayes

That does seem a little soon. Our 98 Legacy wagon had its belt changed at

85K. It had developed an oil leak by that time. We had all that you mentioned, as well as new belts, when ours was done. I figured as long as I was paying for the tear down, I might as well have them replace all of the parts they could get to. I think changing the two fan belts added an insignifant amount to the cost (less than $60).

Charles Perry

Reply to
Charles Perry