86 XT GL Coupe - Lurching

Okay.. here are some questions..

what causes this feeling of 'lurching' or jumping forward? It almost always happens in low gear (i get really crappy low gear preformance at like 10 -

25 mph) and now started happening in higher gears while keeping steady on the accelerator.

next - i checked my Man. Trans. Lub. level a few mos ago, was at right height ondipstick but appeared 'bubbly', checked it today it was at completely low line (very bottom line).. what caused it to run out so much?

- i dont know if this is related, but the spark plugs appeared to be running hot (plugs were white), and one of the metal connector harness things inside the rubber boot was rusted all over, but the other wires were fine.. what do i need to do about this?

finally - when im driving, there is a very coins in a can like sound, can be affected by the accelerator, but not completely dependent on it.. it is becomming more common of a condition.. when the car is running (idling) and i listen at the back near the exhaust, it sounds like (best i can describe it) a boat running - no smooth operation sounds, but kind of a low soft 'boam boam boam' continuously

Sry for the large amount of questions, but they all apear to have come up at the same time - i noticed the noises and checked it over: air filter fine, distr fine and not moveable, plugs were a bit white, wires fine (except rusted one), fuel filter changed, belts are fine, fluids are fine when i add to them, battery and alt are all fine, distr isnt cracked or anything...

any help appreciated JB

Reply to
JonnieBlue

check the 'old generation forum' on the message bds. at

for good help with older soobs. Of course, monitor here as well. I'm wondering if the coins in a can noise could be exhaust heat shields rattling.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

J> Okay.. here are some questions..

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:23:05 -0900, "JonnieBlue" scribbled:

Basically I would replace all the plugs and leads for starters. I have a feeling that coins in the can noise is pinging. Try running a higher octane fuel. I'm not sure what would cause the oil to be bubbly in the trans, it could be really old oil which is due to be replaced (antibubbling agents in the oil could be passed the use-by date so to speak).

Reply to
Phillip Weston