1988 1l Nissan Micra losing power uphill

Recently got this car, and I'm pretty much a newbie at car maint. It had a new exhaust fitted 1month prior to purchasing, along with oil filter, air filter, spark plugs changed.

When I drive uphill, I'm getting a severe lack of power, and the engine seems to "chug". It seems intermittent, but there are a few other symptoms. When idling, or slowing down, the oil light is flashing (checked oil level, that's fine), amd today as it's pouring down, it will not remain idling, it just cuts out and cuts out at junctions today. Generally the car has been running fine.

I've checked oil & water, checked for "mayonnaise" in the rocker box, and in the air filter & carb. Carb is clean as a bell, as is the air filter. I checked the plugs, they seem fine (white/grey ish deposits only), and the gaps are as stated in the Haynes manual.

I'm running it on unleaded - previous owner had been running on unleaded for the last year without problem as far as I am aware.

Not checked the distributor yet, as it's chucking it down :P but that's next - and I was wondering about new HT leads ?

Any advice is appreciated, as I'm kinda stumbling in the dark here, but willing to learn.

Reply to
fatgit

A few thoughts for you. No doubt others will have their views.

The flashing oil light is normally due to either a wonky oil pressure switch or low oil pressure. Assuming the switch is OK then low pressure is either because there's not enough oil (but you've checked that and it's OK) or worn engine bearings. The latter normally only occurs after extended mileage or because the engine's not been looked after reasonably. How many miles has it done? I doubt if the flashing light is connected with the cutting out problem unless there's some electrical fault which cause both symptoms.

amd today as it's pouring down, it will not remain

A possiblity is either severely retarded ignition timing or a duff condenser in the distributor. Normally the latter causes the engine to falter when you press the accelerator, although it often idles OK. You may have a partially blocked carb jet. Or, if there's a fuel filter it may be blocked. If you disconnect the fuel line can you get a good fuel delivery when you pump?

The trouble is that there could be a host of reasons as to why you're getting this problem. You either hit lucky with an immediate cure, or you have to diagnose via first principles and go through each item and check that they are all set up correctly - timing for example.

Can you get the car to idle fast with the idle adjustment and not cut out?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Finally found the problem after using carb cleaner, checking leads, dizzy etc.

2 of the vacuum pipes from the carb had the rubber hose that they join with split & perished, scrounged some heat resistant tubing of the same diameter from a neighbour & replaced them, and bingo, started first time & no cutting out.

Just taken it on the same run it struggled with yesterday, and it pulled uphill as well as you'd expect a

Reply to
fatgit

If it hasn't done many miles then it may need a decoke, as it's probably been used mainly for very short journeys with the choke on. I recently used a fairly expensive decoke aerosol (called Power Booster) that was recommended by Car Mechanics magazine on a 1985 Nissan Cherry that had only done 39000m but had had all the usual tune up stuff done like timing, filters etc regularly. The transformation in power and throttle response was not far short of miraculous and has stayed that way so far. A lot easier than taking the cylinder head off.

Your tickover sounds like it's too slow, which may also account for the flashing oil light. Resetting the timing may help if it's retarded, as advancing speeds up the tickover and will boost the power a bit as well. If it's not the timing then just tweak the idle speed on the carb. Has the right grade oil been used? Older engines like thicker oil like 20/50 and even if the manual says 10/40 I would use 20/50 on an old worn engine. Nissan HT leads usually last forever, but they could also cause your intermittent lack of power, as could using non NGK plugs, Nissans like NGK's.

Reply to
Steve B

K10 Micras have a problem with the oil lift pipe in the sump becoming gunged up.... get the sump off and clean the pipe.... the area dia. that sits in the oil is no bigger than a 10p piece.

JK

Reply to
JK