1995 Honda Passport - CV Boot and Axle Replacement

Okay, so my mechanic spent all day trying to get the axle portion out of the differential to no avail. Did not use an inner CV boot puller with a slide hammer -- didn't own one. Was trying to pry it out, whatever he could, without damaging the transmission, etc. Gave me back the car after putting it back together and said he couldn't do the job.

I am going to buy a tool online to get the job done: an inner CV boot puller with slide hammer is what I've apparently found for purchase.

My mechanic had such a hard time, he says, trying to get this thing out; am I going to have any good luck using this CV puller? I've seen two advertised online: one with an open rate of 63mm and the other one with an open rate of 49mm.

For this vehicle, Honda Passport, which one is required?

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming at this point that because the mechanic was trying to pry the axle out on only one side that force was being exerted on the other side and the special clips inside on the axle shaft were being wedged up inside the shaft and that the CV puller will pull straight out on all sides and hopefully this thing will pop right outta there.

Anyone else had any issues such as this? With better results? I hope.

Aaron

Reply to
ajpdla

Honda Passport is actually an Isuzu Rodeo with Honda badges. You might have better luck asking in the Isuzu group.

Reply to
E Meyer

I really hate that you have to hear this because it's not great news. Assuming that the '95 Passport (which as stated is really an Isuzu Rodeo) is similar to a '96 Rodeo the axle shft is fit into the transfer case in such a way as to require the removal and disassembly (yes, DISASSEMBLY) of the transfer case in order to remove the axle.

Yes that's right ... the $35.00 worth of rubberized CV boots that are normally replaced (because it's just easier) by $100.00 worth of axle (half shafts) with pre-installed CV boots ... all of which your mechanic will bill you for at the book time of (approximately) 3 hours ... on a '96 Rodeo/Passport and presumably a '95 Rodeo/Passport will instead require a seriously major under-the-car job estimated at (roughly, cause I can't remember now) either 8, 10, or 12 hours.

The 8, 10, or 12 hours doesn't include the new half shafts either :-( ... the credit unions are offering attractive rates for personal loans these days

Sorry about this ... I'm just the messenger. Been there, pulled my hair out, and now drive what has effectively become a 2 wheel / rear drive '96 Rodeo. Thankfully, I live in the South.

By the way, the mechanic that showed me all this is a friend with whom I have worked on this car more than once, and with whom I was working that night also. He was as surprised as I was, which was after we had started the job and gotten to a more-or-less point of no return.

I would suggest that you 1) refer your current mechanic to his Alldata disks and/or 2) find a new machanic who HAS and USES his Alldata disks. My guy has them, uses them *almost* every time (oops, not this time) oh well.

Sorry, again.

Phil

E Meyer wrote:

Reply to