`95 Legacy ABS Brake unit needs replaced

Hello all,

I took my mom's car into the dealership this morning after noticing the emergency brake light was staying on in the dash panel as well as brake fluid levels being dangerous low. Upon the service rep at the dealership having a technician look it over, they discovered that the Nippon A.B.S. brake unit was failing in the vehicle. It was leaking brake fluid at a slow rate causing it to mist back over the wheel well area and it has already started to eat away at the paint there. The service rep (a computer customer of mine) was very concerned because the Nippon A.B.S. unit costs $1400 for them to purchase and he didn't want to do that and highly urged me to possibly find another one out of a `95 Legacy L subaru if at all possible to cut down on the $2100 quote price. $1400 was for the ABS unit, $250 was for the labor, and the remaining $450 was for boot/coupler/housing? units for along the wheels/axles. The service rep also said they would have to bleed the brake lines and use a special machine to suction out all the air and fluids after installing this new ABS unit and before putting in new fluids. These are all first time replacements for these items because they just have worn out. The car is nearly 11 years old with 285,000 miles.

MY QUESTION is does anyone know besides local salvage yards where I could possibly get a Nippon A.B.S. unit for `95 Subaru Legacy L wagons? The service rep highly suggested I check out alternative sources for this item so my mom isn't stuck with a $1400 part cost. I will be checking local salvage yards but I'm curious if anyone on here knows where there could be one of these even online at a highly reduced cost.

Also if I get any trolls who say "tell her to buy a new car", you will get ignored. The only option right now is getting this fixed and moving forward.

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker

I'm wondering if NOT fixing it could be an option? We did fairly well without ABS for decades. Sure, its a nice safety feature, but not having it certainly doesn't make the car a death trap.(assuming the rest of the braking systems is OK)

You might ask about used parts over at

. Those guys know how to keep soobs on the road. maybe there is soneone that knows how to rebuild your ABS unit or some other , less expensive, option.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl,

Based on what this service rep. said, is that the brake fluid is pumped through this unit and it is directly tied into the main brake lines and brake fluid. It's leaking fluid and partially not functioning at this point. He did say with certainity that if repair was not done, the brake fluid would continue to leak out, the ABS would not function, and eventually all brakes would cease to function at all. Appearantly it's a *must repair* options only.

Thanks for the URL, I'll post there as well.

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker