ABS problem on 95 Legacy

During ordinary driving today, my ABS light came on. At the same time (I think), a new noise emerged from under the hood. I stopped and looked:
it's some kind of pump near the right-front wheel, with "ABS" on a nameplate, running continuously. The car runs and brakes OK, but I'm worried about wearing something out and/or sudden brake failure. Only way I could get it to stop was by pulling a battery cable.
Will it be safe to use for a few more miles, including to the service station on Monday? Anything a fairly mechanical but ABS-ignorant person can do/check?
Thanks!
-Theo

The car will brake fine, you just dont have ABS functional. Remember, cars worked fine for years before ABS. I've heard a quick fix for this is to tap the pump with a hammer (not hard, just a tap or two) to stop the pump from staying on. Chances are it will come back in a week or two.
--
John

Also there is several electrical connections associated with the abs and you may just have a loose or corroded connection. You might also pull the abs fuse till you get it checked. You still will have excellent braking.

We really need a FAQ that deals with this and the 95 outback fuel gauge problem! There is a relay in the ABS control box that sometimes sticks. It has high enough current ratings, the contacts don't get welded together, it just sticks for some reason. I have posted here in the past the part number for a couple of standard relays you can get from electronic parts places like Mouser and DigiKey that will replace it. But if you just shake it "unstuck" it will probably go for several more years before sticking again. First step: Find the ABS controls, in the front corner of the engine compartment just behind the right front headlamp. There are metallic hydraulic lines going into part of it, but the electrical parts are under a black plastic (at least it is black on my car) cover. Second step: Tap fairly hard somewhere on the box with a pair of pliers, a middle-sized rock, whatever is handy. That will quite likely fix the problem. Third step, if that did not fix it, take off the cover, unplug the relay that is buzzing, tap on it and shake it around, plug it back in. As others have posted, it is a nuisance, could run down the battery, leaves you without ABS, but does not interfere with braking other than ABS. Bob Wilson

Thanks to John, Edward and Bob for helpful and anxiety-relieving advice.
Oddly enough, pulling the ABS fuses from the fusebox didn't stop the noise, which continued even with the key out. Who gave the ABS permission to access power with a fuse out? So I yanked the upper connector block, which stopped the buzzing. Tapping with a wrench hadn't helped, but now that I know it's a relay buzzing, I'll find and whack the offending relay.
Thanks so much for your collective help. Great to have experts on hand!
BTW, I'd like a new car, but no-one's making anything I like as much as this compact wagon. Perhaps, with ownership changes, the next round of Subarus will return to their previous design ideals?
-Theo