’97 Outback 2.5L engine replacement with ’96 2.2L

Hello, I?ve heard that it is possible to replace the 2.5L engine in a ?97 Outback with a 2.2L. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Reply to
gobe

I'm quite certain that the 2.2l SOHC motor will physically _fit_ in place of the 2.5l DOHC, and will probably prove to be a more reliable engine in the long run. That said, you will have some challenges facing you as far as the engine control electronics/ECU/wiring harness, the air intake arrangement, exhaust manifold configuration, and possibly the engine peripherals such as the power steering pump and the AC compressor.

You will definitely want the wiring diagrams for both cars/engines, the complete engine wiring harness and ECU for the 2.2l, and a good understanding of what does what as far as the engine control functions. Actually having the "donor" car available for parts swapping/sanity checks/something to kick when you get frustrated is very desirable.

As Carl suggests, you will probably find much helpful nfo on the web, but in the end it will be up to you, and you alone to get things sorted, and until you do, your OB will be basically scrapmetal . . .

I don't mean to be discouraging, exactly, but please do be sure you understand and accept the challenges involved _before_ you start down that long road; a basic engine swap is trivial (and probably less expensive) in comparison. Good luck.

ByeBye! S.

I believe the 95 2.2 is what you need...from what i understand the exhaust matches up...

i read about the conversion somewhere...not too much of a problem..but you need the 95 motor..if i recall, switch the manifold,wiring harness and brain...

Reply to
bj

you also may have to switch flywheels also

Reply to
bj