98 clutch cable musings

Greetings, I just wanted to relate my experiences changing the clutch cable and to solicit comments from this newsgroup.

My '98 Legacy wagon has 125K on it and is still a reliable and unblemished auto. My wife uses it as an all-weather urban commuter and if I don't want her commandeering my Corolla, I have to keep the Subaru completely repaired. Lately the clutch action has been a little bit "sticky". It reminded my of a motorcycle cable that has too much internal friction form age and rust. However, the new, made in Italy, bought at the local discount auto parts chain, cable proved to have slightly more drag but without the tiny "catch points" felt through the pedal the old cable had. Furthermore, the original cable seemed to be free when worked by hand-no snag or drag. I am sure the routing is correct since I noted the original set up.

I should mention that I have been driving hydraulically activated clutches for a while and the drag that I am feeling in the Suby might be normal. I hope that this clutch at 50K is not exhibiting symptoms of another problem. The clutch was replaced at 75K at the dealer and I have since heard that there was a problem with the unit that resulted in owner considerations. What's that about? My dealer's service department never mentioned that at the time.

Thanks for sharing, Charlie in Pittsburgh

Reply to
Charlie Sachs