98 GT Driver's Door Actuator (again)

I have been struggling with my driver's door lock actuator for a while.

It seems that the actuator itself is functional (tested against the battery directly and it does work). I measured SOME current going to the actuator through the two wires, so I mistakenly assumed the actuator was shot (oh, yes, I have a brand new one for sale now...).

Without knowing what's really supposed to happen, I can't research any further. Perhaps someone with a similar model/year (98 GT wagon) can help:

  1. Are the toggle switches on passenger and driver side supposed to move ALL doors lock positions?

- mine do EXCEPT the driver's door.

  1. I have a wiring harness for a OEM security/keyless system but have installed my own aftermarket alarm/remote lock system. Does this affect the operation of the driver's side door?

- again, my alarm/remote locks/unlocks all doors EXCEPT the driver's door, which may or may not be wired differently (security feature?)

I do have the wiring diagram, but it is not very specific nor can I make out what is supposed to happen when.

TIA for your ideas.

Florian

(While we're at it, where's that *&($% harness for the parking lights and what color is it? Perhaps you can tell that I've spent WAY top much time crouched under the wheel ...)

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

If you have "Security System Upgrade", try to trace wires which should go from "OEM Alarm" to "Door Lock". I had them in something like "Pink/Green" and "Red/Green" colors. Trace them, they should go toward driver's door. Deep under plastic cover you will find that there is a cut on original wires and these two wires are connected to this cut. Just disconnect these wires and restore original connection. By the way, these two wires are wires can be used by aftermarket alarm system to open/close doors.

Reply to
Guest

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am not sure if I understand correctly:

My car did come with a wiring harness for a keyless/alarm unit but the door actuator is the 2-wire kind (I believe the OEM security equipment has a 4 wire, a hood switch etc. etc.)

Where exactly is that cut in the wire? in the door panel or behind the kick panel next to the inside fuse box?

Would that disrupted connection that basically is the result of disconnecting the control module result in all door locks EXCEPT the driver's door to work as normal?

thanks again,

florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

Driver's actuator works kind of different than all another doors. When you press "Unlock", driver's door unlocks first, and then, if you keep button pressed, rest of a doors are opening. All actuators have 2 wires, including driver's door one. You should trace wires which go from separate 5-wires connector on alarm module. Wires should go to driver's door boot, under fuses block, almost on the floor. I think, you can just shorten wires, but I just uncut them.

"Pink/Green"

disconnecting

Reply to
Guest