2003 RX Door Lock Problem

What's up with my 2003 RX these days? When I use the remote to lock the door locks, the driver's door sometimes doesn't lock (although the
others do) and when I press the remote's lock button twice, the headlights fail to go off as they used to. Twisting the key in the actual door lock, however, locks the driver's door correctly (but the headlights stay on then go off in a couple of minutes but perhaps that is normal when the remote isn't used?)
On the inside, if I use the driver's door lock "unlock"button, it unlocks the doors, then when I try to use the button to "lock" the doors it locks all. However, if I use the inside button to unlock the doors then lock the doors, it locks all the doors EXCEPT the driver's door which I have to manually lock by hand.
Is this a mechanical issue, an electrical issues?....
My local Toyota dealer services my RX and my next routine service isn't due until October. Is this one that Lexus needs to repair or can my Toyota dealer handle it?
Thanks.

I think you may have two problems. First, try replacing the battery in the remote, and while you have the remote apart, try gently cleaning the contacts on the back of the rubber buttons and on the circuit board that the rubber buttons contact with rubbing alcohol.
The other possible cause is the driver's door lock position sensor. The Toyota dealer may be able to diagnose the condition.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 00:40:37 -0500, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:>

Or, the driver door lock actuator (which is part of, or is otherwise known as the door latch assembly) is going out. Toyota may be able to diagnose it but they may be unwilling to do so since it's doubtful they can offer you any kind of warranty on a repair unless the Toyota (Highlander?) part# is identical to the Lexus part#.
Things are getting more complicated. Now, when I unlock the doors with the remote, they all unlock, but when I try to lock them with the remote, the rear passenger side door doesn't lock but all the others do. I think I have all the doors locked and the alarm set when in reality, only three of the doors and the tailgate are locked and the alarm isn't set. I think I'll take a trip to the Toyota dealer before my next scheduled service (10/08) and have them see what's going on. The Lexus is way past warranty, so warranty repairs aren't an issue (it has 75,000 miles on it)

With the new clue, I'd check the master power window/door lock switch.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Toyota diagnosed the problem correctly as the door lock actuators, two of them. Unfortunately, they were only available from Lexus and the repair, even with the lower labor charges of Toyota vs. Lexus still came out to over $700.00. Ouch! They did pay for the rent-a-car.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:43:22 -0500, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:>

Thanks for sharing your results!