'99 Forester - timing belt replacement

Hi All,

I will soon be replacing the timing belt on my 1999 Forester. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I should replace while they are in there?

Thanks,

A J

Reply to
AJay

to be VERY thorough, water pump, tensioner, idler bearing, front crank and cam seals, rebuild oil pump.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Like Carl said.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
AJay

I'm just repeateing from what I've read, and one bad experience with a Toyota where I 'cheaped out' and had a belt break after 9000 miles due to a frozen idler bearing.

If you're doing it yourself, search around at

and
and
for advice, tips, maybe on-line pics. And there are 2-3 online OEM parts sources. The one I've used for touch-up paint, filters,etc. is
. Jamie ( of subiegalracing) is the contact there.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi Carl,

I won't be doing the work myself, I just do very minor work Knock detector, spark plugs, oil change, etc . The work will be done by the dealer but thanks for the tips and the Subaru contacts.

Have a great day.

A J

Reply to
AJay

Just tell the shop that you want to do what Carl & Edward said and touch NOTHING else. Especially wheels. I did a timing belt on my Protege a week or two ago. Apparently they took the wheels off to inspect the brakes or something and now there is an annoying intermittent low volume high pitched sound while breaking at crawling speeds. And that was at a Mazda _dealer_!!! Should've saved a bundle and went to an independent shop per my original plan.

Reply to
Body Roll