Timing belt replacement

hello all. My 1996 850 ( non-turbo ) has 52K miles on it and I wonder how soon I should replace the timing belt. I just have the transmission rebuilted and I don't want any more surprised any time soon.

The manual says to replace the timing belt at 70K miles but a mechanic I know says to replace right away because the car is over eight years old. Should I replace it right now at 52K miles? Has anyone had any problem with the timing belt earlier than 70K miles regardless of the age of the car?

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Pier

Reply to
Pier1

Do it now - saves a nasty surprise - I don't know about any specific Volvo issues, but I've read reports recently of other cars where the belt has failed before the recommended change interval (isolated cases no doubt).

Reply to
Jeremy

I think you should replace it. It's been 8 years; undoubtedly the rubber has aged and cracked. Your car has an interference engine, and if the belt should snap unexpectedly it will be expensive to fix.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

i agree,change it now. Incidentally,does anyone know of a database which details cars/makes/models which dont have/have interference engines??

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Don't you need some special tools to do it on a Diesel? I know on the old VW Diesel engines used in the 200/700 series cars you have to have a dial caliper and a special adapter so you get the fuel injection timing correct. Also the valve timing is much more critical on a Diesel engine.

Reply to
James Sweet