99 Legacy 2.2 - leaking Separator Plate

My 99 Legacy 2.2 sedan 30th Ed. has developed an oil leak. The dealer tells me it's the "separator plate" on the back of the engine, and it is necessary to remove the auto trans to fix this problem at a cost of $900+ (Chicago area).

The dealer mechanic was very helpful and showed me the back of a long block crate engine in the shop which shows a flat metal plate with 5 or 6 screws that fits against a machined flange and is sealed with nothing more than black RTV (or Permatex gasket maker) on the back of the engine and is located to the right & above the crankshaft.

Apparently this leakage is a common problem. The sad thing is that the only to way to fix this leak is to remove the trans. If I was going to have the tranny removed, I would probably want the rear main oil seal replaced as a preventive measure.

Has anyone had this work done before and know the usual & customary charge for this repair? Having a flat plate sealed by RTV between the engine and trans sounds like sheer engineering stupidity that results in nothing more than a boon for the dealerships and repair shops. Any additional information would be helpful.

Thanks In Advance.

Reply to
X-Eliminator

Yes, the engine had to be separated from the transmission. However, instead of removing the transmission, which requires the front axles and propshaft etc to be removed, which is a major effort, the engine should be removed, which is actually easier and simpler in my view.

Sequence is as follows:

  • drain the coolant and remove the radiator, remove the air filter stuff
  • remove the starter and "dogbone" strut.
  • remove the A/C compressor if the A/C does not work, otherwise remove the condenser and compressor and lift them out of the way.
*disconnect the exhausts, transmission bolts and engine mounts
  • separate the engine from the trans and lift the engine out

While the engine is out, the separator plate can be fixed, the rear main seal if needed, and the belt, idlers and water pump can be inspected. While this CAN be done in the car, it's far easier to do with the engine out.

The downside is that the labour costs will be about the same.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I think I have read of this problem before. I have no direct experience with it, but I don't think it is 'rare'.

One thing, if anyone is gonna tackle this problem, I'd have the transmission/wet-clutch pack thoroughly tested. Wouldn't want to discover a bad transmission a week or 2 after spending this kinda time/ money on the flexplate. You other post sounded a little like torque bind.

just a thought.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Do you refer to the post about losing the power after backing up? I am a different poster :) But after googling what the torque bind is I think that you might have found my problem. Another symptom this car has is that it gives me sometimes a way too strong a jolt when I switch to rear from parking. I don't think it is normal...

Reply to
MM

snipped-for-privacy@i21g2000yqg.googlegroups.com...

sry, my mistake. Yeah, check the other post.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Sorry for the coincidence of posting my different 99 Legacy 2.2 post right next to yours ;-)

Reply to
X-Eliminator