Oil Separator Leak '97 Legacy Wagon

Hi,
My Dad's wagon was taken into the dealer for its regular oil change at 68k miles. Afterward we noticed a smell and some oil drops on the
driveway. Gave it about 5 days but after it didn't stop, brought it back to the dealer. They say it's the oil separator cover leaking. My question is since there's only 68k miles on it and it's driven by a little old man (and his wife), should we just wait until something more major needs to be done maybe, say another 30k miles and have the works done on it? Can the leak be tolerable until then?
Thanks, Bill
Greetings,
I have had a leak for a few years. Drops in the garage prompted me to put down some cardboard. I was told that my '95 Legacy LSi was leaking. Had it repaired at about your mileage. Was told that if I had brought it in prior to the 60K mark, the drivetrain warranty would have taken care of it. I don;t see it worth trying again, uless I do some major work... Plastic part has been replaced with aluminum, but it still leaks... Oh well, a quart of oil is way cheaper than back to the shop...Again...
Bill

Bill wrote:

I'm not sure what they mean by the oil separator. I'd guess that it's the front crankshaft oil seal just because they fail relatively early.
What will happen with time is that the oil will blow back onto the exhaust headers and cause a nasty stink. If you can put up with that, it's probably not a big problem. We couldn't.
If you take it in to be serviced and it is the front oil seal, make sure that in addition to changing the seal, they remove the back plate from the oil pump, change the o-ring, put the back plate back on and loctite it's screws.
I've had that leak in my 98 OBS for 3 years (115K to 133K) and no issues other than occasional stink. I haven't lost oil fast enough to be a a problem with just keeping an occasional eye on it.
Jim Lofgren Redmond, WA

Had this problem in my car for several years and was given wild estimates for repair...they claimed not to know for sure what was leaking & wnated to pull the engine and replace all seals and gaskets.. Last summer, on vacation, the crankshaft pulley failed, and in replacing it and the associated seals, the oil leak problem vanished.
Thanks to all who replied. We're gonna let it go until whenever it needs real major work on the drivetrain. --Bill