*** a/c compressor noise ***

Can some of you regulars speculate as to a noise my A/C compressor makes everytime it kicks on.....it almost sounds like a bypass valve relieving pressure. "pfffffft" !!!!!

I just took the car in for it's 30,000 mile service....I'm not sure if the dealership mechanic checked the freon levels.... if they topped it off...is it possible they mechanic overfilled it and the excess pressure will eventually be expelled????

Anyone from Mastro Subaru, feel free to comment..... 'cause the car's coming back !

fORCE fED

Reply to
fORCE=fED

Would it help you to know it is a 2002 model WRX -- US ???

Reply to
fORCE=fED

Does it just make the sound one time when you turn your dash switch to call for AC, or does it repeatedly make the noise as you drive along?

It may be a vacuum leak under the dash coming from a hose to one of your damper doors in the AC system.

Reply to
nItpIk

The sound happens when I first turn on the A/C (compressor) and everytime the compressor comes back on.....apparently it cycles on and off frequently during normal operation......

But......after a week of ignoring the problem it seems to have corrected itself....My explanation is that the excess pressure has slowly been released over time and all is well now...

..I wish all problems were solved by denial.....

Thanks for the reply,

fORCE fED

Reply to
fORCE=fED

Some times the noise is due to a sticky expansion valve in the evaporator inside the car.

I have heard them whistle too. Be thankful yours is not one of them... LOL

fORCE=fED wrote:

Reply to
TM