Please help with seatbelt problems (2nd cry for aid)

Does anyone here have any advice about fixing the driver's automatic seatbelt on a '93 Legacy? It seems like it wants to work (sometimes) but all it does is jump a little bit when the door is opened. Could any suggestions be offered as to where to begin to trouble-shoot? Is there any place on the web that has any diagrams of how they work or how to get into them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reply to
Computer User

Tony Hwang

I've replaced this twice on our '93 Legacy, and it's broken again. It is a sealed cable operated assembly, and there isn't much you can do short of replacement, which is a mild pain in the butt, but doable. Be warned that it's a pricey little PoS; $125 at the scrap yard (if you can even find a good one), probably closer to $300 from the dealership! What I have done _this_ time around (probably won't help you much) is when we noticed that it was starting to act up _again_, I kept cycling it til I got it to go all the way to the back position and then clipped the leads to the motor. Now at least you can manually work the shoulder belt. The motor/cable spool is located behind a trim piece in the pillar between front and back doors. I suppose it's possible that you could work the cable into the back position from there, but as it's the cable that seems to be the problem child, I wouldn't be too hopeful. Sorry to bear bad news, but this is a crummy implementation of a stupid governmental mandate ("Passive Restraint System" Thanx, DOT) that has since been replaced by the ubiquitous air bag.

ByeBye! S.

Even on an 11 year old car with (in our case) 280K miles on it? I'd be real surprised if that's the case, but if so I'd just _love_ to dump it in the dealerships/SOAs lap. Why do you think the dealer is obliged to fix (w/o charging $500+ to perform the service)? Part of the same "Passive Restraint" mandate? Inquiring minds would love to know!!!

ByeBye! S.

How does it wrap when you put it on. Compare it to the passenger side. I found mine was twisted and didn't pull back properly when I opend the door. Kept bumping the lock assy into the plastic on the door jamb area. After finagling with the strap (wasn't easy but I did it) I turned the strap over and it wraps around me flat, NO TWISTS.. Now it returns very nicely and I have heard a bang or smash in the door as I close it.

Phil

Computer User wrote:

Reply to
Phil Fimiani