'95 Dodge A/C Problem

I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.3 L engine. My A/C stopped working gradually over about 2 weeks. In other words it cooled less and less with greater frequency. I checked the High Side pressure and it measured 320+ therefore I did not add any freon. I was told that it was already too high indicating that adding freon would not fix the problem. Can anyone tell me what the pressure should be on the high side? Or what else I could check. The compressor no longer kicks in.

Reply to
RayJor

On a 80 degree day lowside 29 psi and 215 psi on the high side. With out knowing the low side psi it is a SWAG. If both high and low sides are high possibility of an over charge, condenser cooling fins clogged with dirt or the cooling fan is not working.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I measured 100 PSI on the low side and 350 PSI on the high side with about 1000 RPM and 90 degrees outside. I have never added freon since I bought it in 1997. If the condenser cooling fins are clogged would there be an outward indication that I can see?

Reply to
RayJor

Nope you can not generally tell if they are clogged up with dirt. I have access to commercial products for cleaning AC systems and use a spray product to clean both the condenser and evaporator.

There are several other things that can also cause the high readings on both the low and high side. Such as air in the system, a bad TXV, contaminated compressor oil or just over filled.

In any case if cleaning does not work then the system needs to be evacuated to 500 microns and refilled with the exact amount of refrigerant specified for your system. Check the compressor oil for contamination and add the correct amount.

Unless you are familiar with working on AC systems have it done by a certified automotive tech that has been trained on automotive AC systems.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty