ABS and transmission

I recently bought a used 99 Outback SW, 130K mile, Auto. I had the front brake pads replaced and now am experiencing two (maybe related) annoyances.

First, every so often, usually after driving maybe 10 minutes, I hear a squeal. I thin from the front. IT will diminish (or dissappear) when I step on the brake and maybe come back again. It is really random. The other thing I noticed is that I can make it go away if I turn the steering wheel either left or right. When I go back straight, they noise might appear.

I've had the brakes looked at but they could not find anything that would cause the squeal.

What would move when the steering wheel is turned?

Is there an ABS sensor at each wheel? Coould this be the noise maker? Does it move when the wheels are turned left/right or remain fixed?

second, there are times when I am driving along at 60 mph and a tap on the brakes causes the transmission to downshift.

Does the ABS sensor tie into the operation of the transmission.

Thanks

Reply to
soob

Hi, At that mileage, you should've turned the rotors, check/clean the calipers, and install the pads. Was this the case? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Wheels, brake pads, calipers and rotors (among other things) will all turn the same way

Yes

No

Only the front moves ; )

No, by harmonics they determine what speed each wheel is rotating at (or not rotating at) and adjust accordingly. If anything the transmission is tied into the operation of the ABS in relation to vehicle speed.

The brake issue is most likely the pad not sitting in the caliper correctly. Either disc squeal goop wasn't used or the shims were not replaced correctly or not used at all.

The tranny issue may be that the shift point between 4th and overdrive for your vehicle is right at that 60mph range. I dont know if this can be reset at the ECM or with a cable adjustment.

Reply to
John

Thanks,

YEah all that was done at the same time. Maybe I just need to have it all done again.

Soob

Tony Hwang wrote in news:HKtRc.51369$M95.41732@pd7tw1no:

related)

fixed?

Reply to
soob

"John" wrote in news:XZzRc.114256$eM2.81506 @attbi_s51:

fixed?

overdrive

Thanks John,

I think I'm going to have the brakes redone. I know there was a service bulleting that changed teh "goop".

I'll also have the Soob dealer look at the transmission and ECM.

Soob

Reply to
soob

The transmission is behaving normally. Some Subaru trans do this to add a little engine braking. My '99 outback does it. ABS has nothing to do with your noise problem. I would see if the pins and sliding points were lubricated and also just swap the pads side to side....some little thing with the shims or something might be the cause. I would not turn the rotors again. If you used Subaru pads switch to a ceramic aftermarket pad or some pad made for silent operation. TG

Reply to
TG