Caliper rubbing on wheel - 95' SAAB 900s

Just bought a 95' SAAB 3 days ago, and today I noticed a grinding noise on the drivers side (left) front wheel. Thought it was the brake shoes (or lack of), but have 90% shoes.

However, there is a worn spot on the caliper, and a matching ring on the inside of the wheel.

Only grinds when I apply the brakes. Any ideas?

Reply to
Kyle Easley

Not shoes, pads. Shoes are the things you get on drums.

Either the caliper is not firmly attached (grab it, push/pull - does it move?), or you have aftermarket wheels of the wrong size.

Reply to
Grunff

My bad, I know better than that :-)

I have tried........unless it is frozen in place....

They are stock SAAB wheels.......

Reply to
Kyle Easley

Hmmmm...

Look at it this way. You say that it only rubs under brakeing. That means that the wheel moves closer to the caliper, but only under brakeing.

In order for that to happen, either the caliper has to move relative to the hub carrier, or the wheel has to move relative to the hub carrier.

If you're sure the caliper isn't moving, then it must be the wheel. If we assume the wheel is firmly bolted on, then it can only be the wheel bearing.

Test the bearing by jacking up, grabbing the wheel, and pushing/pulling. Any play? Rotate the wheel. Any grinding?

Reply to
Grunff

So, I went to the SAAB place today, which was the place that I bought my car.

It just so happens whoever replaced the pads failed to replace the retainer spring on the outside of the caliper, which was allowing the caliper to slide forward when I applied the brakes.

Problemo solved!

Reply to
Kyle Easley

Had a similar problem on my 9000. It was down to the balance weights on the wheel being in the wrong place. The calliper was hitting them.

Reply to
The Brown & Ollis-Brown Family

It ended up being the spring clips on the caliper. I had just bought the car and the brakes were new, and the clips were left off, allowing the calipers to move forward when the brakes were applied. The dealer fixed it for free..

Reply to
Kyle Easley