Aerodynamics

Does anyone know how cg for a car is determined? Is car during testing in the windtunnel placed on a treadmill running at the speed of the airflow to account for the effect of the rotating tires or it's completely stationary?

How does 08 impreza frontal area compare to 07?

Reply to
isquat

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1176698113.722333.63190 @q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Not sure how Cd is calculated/determined but I do know that windtunnel time is typically not done with the wheels turning. I personally have always seen this to be a serious shortcoming in windtunnel testing. F1 cars sometimes use a moving "road" surface during testing but this is EXTREMELY expensive and, for the typical passenger car manufacturer, not worth the cost.

As a former bicycle racer, I know that spinning wheels have a profound effect on the aerodynamic drag of a vehicle. Witness the "smoothie" wheel covers of the Bonneville racers and the disc wheels on racing bicycles. Now, look at the wheels on any street car. Do you see any real aerodynamic considerations? I don't. Wheels could be designed so that they help pull air out from under the vehicle, thus improving downforce/stability at high speeds, as well as improved engine and brake cooling and potentially lower drag. As far as I know, the only aftermarket wheel ever made with this in mind was the Enkei 81 (or maybe it was the 82). I'm not sure Enkei even makes that wheel any more. I thought it looked really nice though...like a thick fan.

~Sh0ck~

Reply to
Sh0ck

See the wheels of the 1993 Ford Probe GT.

Not sure if it made much difference as I have not seen many other cars with this in mind either.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

it looks like these could have helped to suck the air out of the wheel wells rapidly and is a much cheaper solution than igniting the air into the wheel wells thru ducting.

why would rear brakes overheat it completely beyond me but i noticed that the rear rotors on the upcoming G37 is almost as big as the front. Apparently Probe GT wheels did not prove to be a hit with poseurs and manufacturers are resorting to the brute force methods for brake cooling increasing unsprung mass in the process :-(

Reply to
isquat