Aftermarket receivers

A female neighbor of mine wants me to install an after-market receiver in her '94 Accord EX, mainly because she wants one that can play CDs, instead of casette tapes. Crutchfield's carries a bunch of models that would satisfy that spec but I would like to get her one that has a few other features as well that the old factory model lacks. Such as HD AM/FM radio, USB and aux inputs, as long as the cost is under $150.

I found 3 models on the Crutchfield site that fit the bill and I wonder if any of you happen to use one of them and could give me a feedback. I'm kinda' undecided on which one I should get. One thing the reviews don't talk much about is the simplicity of handling the controls. I found from my own experience that they can be pretty complex and hard to remember.

Here are the 3 models I am looking at right now:

Kenwood KDC-HD552U, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X596, and Pioneer DEH-X5500HD.

Reply to
cameo

I've been browsing the Crutchfield site myself recently, in preparation for buying a navigation receiver for my upcoming Outback. So 'fraid I can't help you with those specific models, but I am curious what HD channels your friend wants to receive. Are there some good ones in your area?

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

I remember CDs, they were kind of like floppy disks, right?

J.

Reply to
JRStern

I know, and I even mentioned that CDs are almost gone to the same grave yard as the tape casettes, but she insisted on it. She is retired and probably has some devotional stuff on those CDs, because she is very religious. But, just in case she finds out about USB thumb drives, I figured I might as well future-proof her so she won't bug me with an upgrade again.

Reply to
cameo

There are several FM HD stations in the Seattle metro area which I can receive well. I think there also are some AM HD broadcasts, but I don't remember receiving one yet. One must be pretty close to the broadcast tower for that, I guess.

Reply to
cameo

Okay, I was just wondering why your friend was so concerned about getting an HD-capable receiver. She didn't say?

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

You did not read well my original post about that. I was the one to suggest HD radio as a way to future-proof her.

Reply to
cameo