Speaker Rain Baffles

My 2nd set of speakers in as many years have packed up, the culprit seems to be water getting in to the door and onto the speakers, (for some reason it always the left that seems worse). I have fitted new rain seals at the top of the doors but it still happens. I have seen that from the factory there are rain baffles attached, unfortunately mine went walkabouts before I bought her, I have found some replacements on crutchfield's site, but they do not handle orders to Greece, I have also found that some speakers come with rain baffles attached, but as I have already purchased the new ones I do not want the whole unit. Any ideas anyone?

Reply to
gixer

I would recommend what I am about to try as soon as the weather cooperates... using a Dynamat speaker kit. Dynamat packages two 10"x10" pieces of Dynamat into what they call their speaker kit. The Dynamat goes over the speaker holes and then they suggest cutting away the entire section that covers the hole... but plan on just cutting along the lower half of the perimeter of the hole and leaving the Dynamat in place. This should provide a flap that the speaker will press against when installed that will act as a weather shield. The Dynamat is pliable and should stretch to wrap around the top half of the speaker (particularly with the thinner Dynamat Extreme which does not require heat to be applied to it for a snug fitting). Perhaps a little bit of the bottom half of the flap will need to be removed (I don't want it to flap around in there) but I will have to see how it goes. The speaker should not be completely wrapped by any surround as it requires an open or 'infinite baffle' type installation or it simply will not produce good base (the sound will become muffled if completely wrapped in the back). And moisture needs to escape too. If you should obtain the XTC baffles (which incidentally are not in stock at Cruthfield anyway) then I hear that cutting a 2" square opening at the bottom is recommended for good sound and to allow moisture to escape.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Search google under "foam speaker baffle". There are several products out there, finding someone willing to ship to Greece will be another challenge. When you mount them, cut out a large slot from the bottom so the speaker won't be confined. Best of luck.

Reply to
Natman

if commercially made baffles are not available then you can use an old trick we used to do to make baffles for antique cars. find a set of funnels the correct size (auto parts stores are a good place) and cut 1/3 of the cone off. cut the cone so it extends about 1/2 inch past the magnet and carefully drill out the speaker mounting screw holes in the lip. when cutting out the 1/3 of the cone, be careful to leave the lip uncut so that it forms a complete ring between the speaker and door to maintain a good air seal.

Reply to
news

Thanks Guy, some very good advice there, I will try the Funnel trick 1st as it's by far the easiest to come by. I'm stopping off in the UK soon for a few days so i will chuck some of that Dynamat extreme in my luggage, thanks Christopher.

Reply to
gixer