Antenna adapter to Motorola from Subaru Legacy power antenna?

Hi there,

I recently replaced the power antenna in my '99 Subaru Legacy Wagon with one I bought online at

Installation wasn't perfect, but I've managed to get it installed and powered for the extension and retraction.

My problem? The coax antenna cable that plugged into the old power antenna has a bizarre jack that nobody seems to have an adapter for. The new antenna I bought has a standard Motorola jack.

Does anyone know where I can get an adapter for the factory installed power antenna jack to a motorola jack? I don't relish the thought of having to run new antenna cable all the way up to my radio in the dash...

Crutchfield and all the regular outlets don't have an obvious contender to fix this problem... Current jack looks like it should be plugged into the back of a VCR - tiny pin in the middle with a cylindrical "reciever" around the outside, maybe 1/4 inch across.

Help me!

-Randworthy

Reply to
Randworthy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@cyberportal.net says...>

I don't recognize your existing plug from your description (but heck, I don't know what a "Motorola" jack might look like, by that name, either). Plugs can be replaced, it's not too tough to do. If you pay someone to do it, ask if they will solder it. It's kind of a trick question--if they say, "Oh no, no need to" then you know they are functioning at a pretty basic level, and the work may crap out on you early (or be mucky from the start). If the guy says something like "That's the only way to do it right", that's a good sign ;-)

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

I just took a peek at my '99 OB antenna jack, and you're right...that connector isn't standard. It's like a miniature version of the age-old antenna connector. I forgot to check how much slack was in the cable, but replacing that connector with a standard connector is the best option, unless you want to get an OEM anntenna.

I think Radio Shack will have the connector and tools needed for the job. Or, drop by the place where the local police get their radios fixed and they can probably slap a connector on there in a few seconds.

-John O

Reply to
John O

Sounds like it's like a VW antenna connector. See

's a bunch of companies that make them including Scosche. Check out atrue install shop or hit places like Target and WalMart. I've picked themup there when I was working on the road and in a jam. Good luck, Shamus

Reply to
Shamus in CO

I just took a photo of mine...where can I post it or send it to be posted?

BTW, the drawing of the VW connector isn't all that useful, but that might be the one. Can't reaally tell.

Will I get shot if I post a little-bitty jpg here?

-John O

Reply to
John O

Don't know where you can post - the closest thing I've been able to find is a VW/Audi adapter at Crutchfield:

Is that what your picture looks like?

You can email it to me too, if you want...

Thanks for the help so far! Bizarre that Subaru has no info on this. Remember, this is on the end of the cable that plugs into the

*antenna*, not the stereo.

Reply to
Randworthy

Hi everyone,

Just got the "VW/Audi" adapter in from Crutchfield, and it works!! :)

The connector is threaded on the outside, but there's a sheath on the Subaru antenna cable that fits over the threads, and the center coax pin goes right in where it belongs. Hooray!

Haven't heard from my wife on how the reception is, but I'm guessing this closes the case.

BTW, thought I'd mention the kit from

was about 30 bucks, and the adapter piece from Crutchfield was about 7, with shipping another 5 or 6(!), so total cost of the repair was about $45... plus my time.

Some advice on installing the replacement antenna (actually says "Radio Shack" on it)-

The mast on the replacement antenna has 5 pieces on it - exterior: a silver screw-on cap, a rounded chrome piece, and a gasket that is intended to sit flush on the outside of the car; interior: a half-circle piece and a smaller rounded piece.

I tried taking off the three exterior pieces and using the Subaru factory screw-on cap, but the threads didn't match - when the antenna came up, it literally came right out of the car and fell over! So, using the original thru-skin fitting didn't work. What I did was just use the screw-on cap that came with it, and tossed out the rounded chrome piece and gasket, as well as the interior pieces.

It sits nicely in the remaining Subaru gasket, and most people will be none the wiser, so long as you attach the antenna securely inside the car...

To install the antenna in the car, I had to take out the "base plate" that the factory antenna was screwed to - I moved the electrical grounding strap over to the new antenna, and used the mounting strap provided with the new antenna to secure it to the car instead. Don't forget to put the drain line on and put it in the receiver!

If you're looking for a much easier install, buy the factory replacement from Subaru - you can have it replaced in 5 minutes flat, I'd bet, as the old antenna came out like it was greased. If I had an identical replacement, back on the road in no time.

The AntennaX replacement was a kludge, but it worked with a little bit of effort. I'd chastise AntennaX for making it seem like it would be a more precise fit...

Remember, this was done on a Subaru Legacy Wagon, so I have no idea how it would work on other Subarus, but I'm guessing it's a similar operation on Outback wagons, etc.

Good luck everyone!

Reply to
Randworthy