Antennae stuck, dealer says it has to be replaced

Just got a call from my dealer. They have my car 99 SUS Ltd. for an oil change and to look at why my antennae isn't going up and down. The motor runs but nothing happens. I tried the WD40 trick to no avail. Anyway, they just called and said the motor is working, but it's stuck and there's no way to unstick it so $250 for a new motor/antennae.

Does this sound reasonable?????

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
ismlv

I disconnected the motor leads, cut off most of the extended antenna and connected a whip antenna to it. Works great. Total cost:$2.99 at a surplus store.

I'm not a Luddite, but most of the electronic/electrical junk that is forceed on us by the manufacturers is not necessary for the primary function, and that is transportation.

Al

Reply to
Al

Ok my appologies for not knowing but what's a whip antenna? Based on your description, I suspect it's something that doesn't go all the way up and down and maybe has a wire sticking out the top?

Reply to
ismlv

OK, It's an antenna made out of a strong, thin, flexible steel wire, like piano wire. Mine has a helical spring on the bottom so it can flex when hit and in car washes. The helical spring is attached to a hollow shaft which has two set screws in it. The shaft slips over the end of the antenna stub which you have cut to proper length. The set screws are tightened and you have your antenna back.

And no, it doesen't go up and down....and I don't miss it. It didn't go up and down very well anyway when frozen into position with snow and ice. I suspect that is why the mechanism in mine failed due to repeated attempts to go up and down under those conditions. It would try to go up and down even when all I wanted to do was play a tape; faulty design!

Al

Reply to
Al

I had the same problem as you, and after a while the antenna completely broke off..lol

However, without the antenna I can still listen to both FM and AM radio without any problem.

"ismlv" ??? news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com ???...

Reply to
foxmon