SELF INSTALL NEEDS TO BE DONE AT DEALER!?

I purchased an accessory keypad entry for my door on my 99 XLS and I stuck it on all nice and pretty.

I opened the programmers manual for the "SELF INSTALL KIT" I purchased, and followed the instructions. It said to turn the key from "OFF" to "RUN" 8 times in under ten seconds and ending in the "RUN" position. I am then supposed to press any key on my keyless remotes, and any key on my keypad entry. The locks are supposed to cycle and the keypad would then be programmed.

NOPE!...didn't work. I called KANATA FORD, and explained it to them, and they told me I would have to bring it in, and pay them the shop rates to set it up! If I would have known that, I would not have paid nearly $200 for the self install keypad!

Jim do you know why the instructions aren't working? I am following them exactly as printed. Could there be another way to program a 99 explorer other then the way that is listed?

Thanks in advance

-ANDY

Reply to
Teleplus Gatineau

First of all don't post your subject in all caps, second of all don't post in html dunce.

Reply to
fog-dog

The switching on/off 8 times thing works on my '98 4.0 SOHC. If you have done the on/off thing correctly the locks will cycle on the final, 8th 'on'. If you have mis-counted or you haven't been adept enough to actually manage

8 cycles in 10 seconds then the procedure will have failed. 7 isn't enough. 9 is too many. 10 secs is the limit. The keyswitch MUST go from 'OFF' to 'RUN' every time. Miss one of the positions once and you have failed. Take a deep breath and try again...

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I always have to look in the manual.... Simon agrees so I'll go with the 8 times. Getting the timing right can sometimes be a chore. I recall needing the brake pedal depressed but I think (old timing mans memory) thatt is for the remote start...

Reply to
Jim Warman

ok fog dog, but last I checked the entire post is NOT in cap locks. but ok.... and second off I am using outlook for my newsgroups and I prefer it in HTML. sorry.

Reply to
Teleplus Gatineau

Simon, Last I checks I can definitely count to eight and I can do it in under 10 seconds, I am in fact quite positive that the problem does not fall into the category of operator error.

Jim, It just will not cycle on the eighth time ...at all. I had my uncle (a ford mechanic for 20 years) try to do it while at home, and he too could not do it. he said they may need to hook it up to the computer at work.

Reply to
Teleplus Gatineau

Not to be insulting but just to be sure on a couple of points.... keyless entry works with the fobs? And you are ending in the run position, right?. I have my laptop at home this weekend and we can do some basic diagnosis.

Reply to
Jim Warman

sure am Jim . Always ending in Run position and the key fobs work great I never use my key. I'm too lazy. =)

Reply to
Teleplus Gatineau