Auto darkening and compass mirror question

I recently bought a 2010 Forester that canme with an autodarkening mirror and built-in compass. the compass is easy enough to read at night, but almost impossible to read in the daytime. Are there some options I am missing in its operation.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The compass display should dim and brighten based on the mirror's ambient light sensor. Does the autodim function of the mirror work?

Reply to
mulder

You might try recalibrating your mirror.

See

steps 20 and 21.

It worked for me when I installed an auto-dimming mirror from a wrecked Subaru in my WRX.

Reply to
Ben Jammin

Can I just point out that when I grew up, you didn't need a seven-page manual for a car mirror? :-) Actually, I didn't need one up until a few months ago when I sold my Legacy and got an Outback.

Step 20 is just reconnecting the battery. Step 21 appears to say that you need to cover the front-facing sensor, turn the key to the accessory position, then remove the item blocking the sensor. But do you do that during the day or at night? Perhaps if they had found someone who knew how to spell "vehicles," that person would have also pointed out the insufficiency of their instructions. Well, my Outback is brand new, so I hope its mirror won't need fixing any time soon...

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Also, when we were kids a rear-view mirror didn't have a list price of $300+. (My mirror, purchased used from a Subaru parts recycler, was far less expensive.)

I do like the auto-dimming and compass features and the ability to open my garage door by a button on the mirror; the range is far greater than the hand-held door opener unit.

See

Ben Jammin

My assumption is that you calibrate the system by blocking light from falling on the front sensor at either day or night. The system is activated whenever there's a large difference between the front and rear sensor. Mostly the system has to know where to set zero. The system is calibrated by turning the key to "on", at least, that's what it looks like to my eyes.

Reply to
dsi1

Interesting, my 2014 Legacy has the homelink mirror. I do find it more convenient than the hand-held opener attached to the visor. But I have found that the mirror has a shorter range. I often have to wait until I am just a few feet from the door to use it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim